Hi. I’m 45 year old female and I have some questions to pose.
My husband and I were very frightened when we find out that our only son has been suffering from very difficult disease called AMDH -Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
He was diagnosed with this disease three years ago and since then, he’s been using one drug called Ritalin and he felt really good at the beginning of therapy but lately, he began having severe headaches, sleeping problems increased, and was losing weight.
The doctor suggested upping the dosage, which made matters worse.
One friend told my husband that there is some new drug on the market called Adderal and that our soon shouldn’t suffer from these side effects if he started to use this drug immediately.
What are the side effects of this drug?

I think you misspelled a letter, the drug you are referring is called Aderal.
My son is using this drug for over than 5 years and we’ve been very lucky because we have chosen this drug first. Our son does not have any side effects what so ever.
This drug is single entity amphetamine product combining the neutral salts of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine.
Amphetamines are non-catecholamine sympathomimetic amines with CNS stimulant activity, so they really can relieve your child’s symptoms.
It is used to improve a patient's attention span, increase his ability to follow directions, decrease distractibility among children ages three and older.
Aderal may help some patients for whom other medications, such as Ritalin have not been effective.
Of course-it has his own side effects like dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, constipation and other gastrointestinal disturbances but they occur only if the drug is overdosed.

balkcom wrote:

What are the side effects of this drug?

First off all ADHD isnt a disease. In fact there is no clear cut publishable scientific proof on what even causes it...hence some drugs working for some people and not for others. Its like saying you suffer from depression. The pharmacutical industry wants you to believe there is a simple cure in the form of a pill. Well, this is far from the truth. If you read about the mechanisms of amphetamines and methylphendate drugs you will find it is unknown why they even work to treat ADHD. They are all CNS stimulants and are all going to carry similar side effects. I strongly urge you not to keep upping the dose. I have been on and off of both methylphendates and Amphetamines since I was 6. I am 26 now and working on my MS in biochemistry so I know some of the science behind them.

First of all I found that NOT taking the drugs everyday helped TREMENDOUSLY despite what the Drs want you to beleive. Ask them to prove to you why its better to take it everyday? I personally only have trouble concentrating in certain situations. When I was younger (highschool and earlier) the problem was I simply didnt care!! I graduated with a low GPA from highschool but when I got my BS in biochemistry I graduated with a 3.4. Its a matter of motivation not medication. Parents are so fast to find the easy way out, and what is easier than a pill? Now although I say this I do realize there are some cases when these drugs might be necisarry but I refuse to beleive children (and adults) need to be on this stuff on the weekends, or vacation time or holidays etc..

Guest wrote:

balkcom wrote:

What are the side effects of this drug?

A-MEN to that!!!! I do believe we all want our kids to be happy but they also need to no how to deal with the real world without being medicated. I have a 15 year old daughter that was labled ADHD when she was 3 yrs. old. I had to fight with the docs. to keep her off meds. I changed her diet but that didn't work, went to theropy and that helped a little ( I mean little) bit. About half way through 4th grade we finally had to do the meds. Well it's been about 6 yrs. now and we still haven't found the right drug. She has been taking Tenex for the longest, about 2 1/2 yrs. off and on. Now she is taking nothing and we all remember how hard 10th grade was. She started cutting in 8th grade off and on so she also has depression issues too. Does anyone no if Aderal helps with that also. She only cuts when her frustration gets the better of her and I believe that is where the ADHD comes into play.. I am open to comments if anyone can add to my research. Thanks, Bobbie Pa.

Considering that I HAVE ADD, and I have a 3.64GPA in AP classes in high school, I know how hard it is to be on Aderal and be in school. I've had tremdous side-effects. I don't sleep but 4-5 hours night, or so I can...to fix this...doctors prescribed MORE medecine. Now I'm fine on the sleep issue. I don't eat when I'm on aderal...everything feels weird when you don't eat or sleep. It's like you're a lifeless bump on the log. On aderal, you could tell me to count the bumps on the wall and I would. It's killed my personality while on the drug. My personality off the drug is moody and often even to change.

I don't want to blame aderal for all of my problems, but it sure as hell is the cause of alot of them.

I'm 39 and have long wondered if I suffered from ADD. I have 2 kids on Focalin and they are doing great. They tried Concerta before with good success, but one of my kids began to lose his temper with little provocation. the dr. wanted to add anti-depressants. We switched doctors, and the new doc recommended Focalin.

Earlier this year, I began talking to the doc and began Focalin. It was a shaky start. After a few months, I did not think it was working very well and stopped taking it. A few months later, I looked back and realized it helped me alot. Last month the doc suggested I tried Adderall. Yes, I spelled it correctly - I looked on the capsules. After a month, I don't like it. My sleep patterns are way off and I always feel wierd. I'm gonna go back to Focalin, I think, and increase the dosage to see if the reason I was not sastisfied with it before is because I was not at the right dosage.

I am a 43 year old male with ADHD, which has gone untreated for almost my entire life. I always struggled thru school, and had been put in special programs because I couldn't concentrate or as most of my teachers felt, I was just a brat that didn't want to cooperate. I spent almost my entire school life going to summer school just to keep up with everyone else. I even had a teacher tell my mother that she thought I had brain damage because I was so disruptive which of course my doctor blew his lid over. He just said I was a very active and was an impulsive kid and children like me usually grow out of these issues. I have always had problems with focusing and concentrating, finishing task, and all the classic things that children with ADHD have and still have those issues today. I As I got older I just thought I had out grown a lot of it and I had believed that I had for the most part overcome ADHD, and I know now all I really did was learn how to deal with it and use my strengths and stay away from my weaknesses. I am an Engineer at a major auto company and am very good at what I do, but I still struggle with finishing task on time, and focusing on things I do not want to do or am not interested in. I am an Engineer but I do not have a degree in Engineering although my colleagues would ever guess this. I was also never on medication while I worked my way to this position. I just did it out of pure will and effort. The reason I never got a degree was because it was pretty close to impossible for me to go to classes and read and study so I worked my way up thru the ranks and would just force myself to get jobs done and the possibility of failing was what motivated me to keep going even though it has been a real nightmare most of the time.

What I am really trying to get at here is that I have lived both lives. I am not one of the young adults on this board that was medicated his whole childhood and is upset about it. I have lived a complete childhood and a large chunk of my adult life with ADHD and without Medication and have learned to overcome and function and be successful as an adult….. And now I am learning to be an adult with ADHD using Aderal. I think this gives me a little bit of a different perspective then most.

I say that I am an engineer but I have struggled my whole work life to overcome obstacles, to finish task, to always remain focused when I needed to. What takes some people a short time to grasp things may take me 10 times as long to get. Everything I've gotten I've just had to just dig down and fight my way thru. So when I hear someone say, "hey, I don't need my medicine I just didn't want to put the effort forth before and now I do and I have a great GPA"…. Well, I know about putting an effort forth and no matter HOW HARD I TRIED, I always struggled and was way behind everyone else. Maybe he was misdiagnosed but I can promise you if your child truly has ADHD he is at a huge disadvantage vs. the rest of his peers and life in general.

All I can say is that this has been a miracle drug for me. I had been living inside a box my whole life and never knew it, and now someone has taken the lid off. I can concentrate, I can focus, I can grasp things at blazing speeds compared to before. I am so much more patient as a person and have so much more control of who I am it is mind boggling to me. I feel I have been given a new gift in life.

The thing that prompted me to write was the fact that I see all this garbage about over medicating kids and parents being worried about there kids being medicated there whole life, and other saying that these drugs aren't the answer…. This drug doesn't buzz you up like you are on marijuana, or booze, it helps you think more clearly, concentrate on task at hand, and it helps you make better and smarter decisions. It also calms you down and helps give you an inner peace about things, and again, I don't mean in a drugged up way. I mean in a way any normal person can experience inner peace.

So, I think the real issue is not misdiagnosing your child and putting them on a medication that isn't needed. All children have issues with being focused or struggle with school, or who are just bored, so it is your job as a parent to get educated on the facts, find a good specialist and then see where your child ends up. If your specialist says your child is ADHD and you are not convinced, then see someone else and get a second opinion. Talk with people who have it. Get yourself educated. If he or she truly has ADHD then I would not hesitate in trying to help him or her find the right medication to fit their needs. Yes, you can function with out it, yes you can succeed in life but I can tell you from experience that your child will always be struggling and fighting to keep up, and if you can give them something that will let them overcome that with little side effects then I say do what you have to do. All I know is I wish that I had it when I was a child going to school.

I was diagnosed with ADD my Freshman year in college...when in highschool i was always able to get by and was very active in lots of sports and school clubs so I always thought my inability to focus and concentrate was due to all I was involved in. It wasnt until college when my main focus became academics that I figured out the problem. I was diagnosed Dexedrine and used it for 3 years...then I graduated with a B.S in Exercise Science and stopped using it..now I am in Graduate School and decided to take Adderall instead....what a difference...it is great and works very well!! The side effects can be avoided if you take it with lots of water and get some kinds of meals in...Slim fast works for me...it provides me with nutrients and I am able to drink it even if I am not hungry.
Personally i think it helps very much and helps me tremendously academically as well as in my career to keep myself organized and on-task.

people arn't ment to take these kind of drugs. I have adhd, and I lived my whole childhood without them (and struggled) and recently I was perscribed alza, cer---somthing and although they make me work harder, they are addictive. when I say this I mean before I could do regular tasks and have to use maybe 20% more effort than other people, but since I have used alza (while not on the drug) I have to work about 40% harder than average people. its very similar to a caffein addiction; the moe you use it the mopre you need to have the same efects.

bottom line imo I think that people with adhd have different thinking styles. this isn't a bad thing its just different. for instance, I can speak ALOT faster than other people without stubleing or studdering. I can draw way better than anyone I know. I think that people with adhd have different thinking styles which are better in some aspects and worse in others.

I personally think its horrible that kids are being medicated with such a powerful drug before they even enter high school. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 7 or 8 after years of going to neurologists for headaches and serious lack of short term memory with several other problems. It was a school psychologist that diagnosed the add and recommended putting me in special ed and medicated me. Thankfully one of the neurologists had already told my mom that even if ADD is what I had, she needed to work extra with me and definately to not medicate me until I was at least in high school because a lot of kids grow out of it and grades dont matter until then anyway. My mom never let me hide behind a label and use ADD as an excuse for not doing well. She didnt let me know I had it until I was much older. However she did worry a lot that I would never even make it through high school. When I was about 14 it was like a light switch turned on and I finally got it. I managed to graduate with a 3.6 gpa after having struggled with massive learning disabilities for years and all this with never taking medication. I realize that there are people who need to take medication for their AD/HD. I have just recently started on ritalin because though I managed to overcome a lot of obstacles, having these symptoms in adult life is much more of a struggle. I, however, do not think that any child should be medicated for something that they have a strong chance of growing out of it. I think parents have become lazy and are not willing to put in the extra work that it takes to help a child with LDs. My mom was a single parent working 60 hour weeks with two little kids to take care of and she managed to get me through high school and into college all without ever medicating me. So to parents, think a little bit more about what you are putting into your childs body. Give them a chance to be who they are without doping them up. What does it matter if they dont do well in elementary school or even middle school. Grades dont matter. Let them know that yes, they have LDs which just means they have to work harder but can also be a lot prouder when they do succeed because they have more to overcome.

I am 28 years old. I have been taking adderal for about a year now. I have had all the difficulties decribed by the previous posts associated with ADD. I made straight F's in highschool before dropping out at 16. I had problems with drugs and alcohal, and I was in trouble with the law. I have scored very well on every intelligence or apptitude test that I've taken, but in school even when I put foth my best effort, I could never keep up with assignment and so forth. I managed to clean up my life and go to college when I was 19. I mantained a 3.8 GPA for two years whith no chemical aids. I then lost interest and flunked out. The cycle of accepting consequence of failure (no matter how severe) over doing something I did not want to has kept me from knowing many of lifes simple joys.
Adderal has helped me tremendously, although it may not be for everyone. I had fears that it would change my personality, and limit my creativity. It has not, infact I have found it easier to write songs and participate in other artistic activities due to increased concentration.
My best advise for those considering Addderal is to know yourself or your child. If the side effects or hurting more than the drug is helping quit ussing it. But don't be affraid to try it. It could, with a commitment to change of behavior, help open doors that previously seemed to be shut for you.

babawee wrote:

Guest wrote:

balkcom wrote:

What are the side effects of this drug?

I don't think your daughter is ADHD and that may be a reason why the medication may not be working for her all these years. The cutting is an indication of a Border-line disorder. Talk to a Psych Nurse they will have a good grasp of what behaviors indicate what disorders. Also look at a DSM-4. Borderline and other disorders manifest themselves as ADHD and ADD in children and adolescents. As children go they (Shrinks and Doctors) are not allowed to diagnose until they are 18 years of age for some reason. They have child diagnoses that are pretty much worthless. Also ADHD does exhist and the medication out there does work if the child is ADD/ADHD. The only way to be absouletly sure that any person is ADD/ADHD is to have a CAT Scan. Last but not least, if your child is a behavior problem you need to do something for them. You should not expect the teachers to deal with your child who is a major issue in the classroom. You as parents need to take some responsibility and do something. Whether it be medication or whatever. But one thing you are right about: when the medication does not work that is a good indication the diagnosis is wrong and the child needs to be re-examined (by another doctor or shrink if need be). They are human and the diagnosis of children is extremely difficult.

I'm a 21 year old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. One of my only regrets in life was the fact that I didn't know, and my parents did NOT tell me I may have had this disorder earlier in my life. My father has ADHD and is treated with Ritalin. Apparently, his father had ADHD as well. If I had known/been put on meds back in high school, it would have helped me tremendously. I ALWAYS wondered why I was so GOOD at things, but lacked the motivation to do them, had MAJOR initiation problems, and couldn't get a thing done on time in school even though I'm smart as hell. I was used to getting "Does not work to potential" on my report cards. My entire childhood has been a STRUGGLE. If your child has ADD, they're better off getting the right medication to help them through those difficult times we call adolescense. If I knew I had ADHD a mere two years ago, I would have never dropped out of college. Its a shame to know you're smarter than folk, but you're still getting F's and D's because you can't manage your thoughts for c**p.

I am not ADHD, However I have an adult friend who is ADHD. I have spent the last two weekends in the hospital with him. I am truly concerned. I have been a pharmacy technician in the past and Class two drugs concern me. Class one drugs are the illegal stuff heroin etc. So if this drug is generally given only 30 days at a time - due to abuse - think about it. If there are ways around it try those first. I love my friend dearly and there are days when I do not have a clue who he is - and I have known and loved him for 30 years. There are times when my best description of him would be "a beautiful mind" He has not always been this way, but as he grows older and continues on this medicine - I see such a decline. He takes a couple other meds, but I have taken those also and raised three sons on my own and maintained a job for the last 29 years. I am so concerned about my friend and any others taking this medication that are having adverse side effects.

I am a university student who has never been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but probably could have been due to the many symptoms of the 'illness' that I have experienced throughout my life. As it is in college I have recently began to experiment with some drugs ie, marijuana, magic mushrooms (nothing hard). I first used aderall I was given by a friend to help me study for exams. Being naive as I was I assumed aderall,being a doctor prescribed drug would have very few side effects, to my shock and dismay I found to be quite the opposite. The side effects I experienced were, sleeplessness, extreme loss of appetite, a slight rush when the drug took effect and irritability. The side effects were not all that bad to deal with as an adult who has experimented with various substances, but i found it quite ironic that the same doctors who are so eager to denounce marijuana and lament its effect on children in the developmental process, take out their prescription pad at the first sign the little Johnny or Suzie acts out or doesn't pay attention in class. The drugs which are prescribed to children may cause them to behave better, but i doubt anyone wants to see or experience a child coming down off amphetamines. The drugs are a band aid solution to a problem that is not easily solved, parenting and discipline require hard work, but if I ever have children in the future I will do it without the aid of brain altering chemicals. Please remember that 8 years of school does not make a person infallible, and that medical professionals, sadly as it may be, are not always good people.
Please don't spare the rod and dope the child, this in my humble, layman's opinion is the best possible solution.
But what do I know anyways?