My son has diagnosed with adhd. He has terrible mood swings and weight swings. He has been prescribed with Concerta. He had taking it 18 mg daily for a 10 months. The situation got better. Now the doctor wants to change the medication. He wants to give him adderall xr. Can you tell me why that is?

My kid also has the same condition. I know how you feel but you must have faith in your doctor. Those two medications are very similar. As much as I know adderall xr is a little stronger then concerta. Adderall xr effects as appetite suppression, so maybe that it is the reason of change.

probably because he wasnt growing properly or eating enough. believe it or not, concerta stunts growth like no other drug ive ever been on. hunger doesnt just die, it reverses. i cannot physically stand the idea of food when im on it. it can make you focus on whatever you want, but the lack of growth at an early stage, and little to no food intake can kill a kid. your son is probably about to hit puberty. and being on concerta during puberty can simply prevent it from taking place. it held off my growth spurt for 3 years, before i finally quit. this coming from someone who's tried stratera, ritalin, concerta, adderol, and even reifer.