My Son is 8. He has ADHD and he is on Adderall. He started talking about death a lot recently and was very easily triggered to hit. He is the one who decided to get on Medication. His ADHD made him depressed and he talked about suicide. He now feel calms until the meds wear off, then he constantly cries and talks about suicide and not having any friends and all. What should I do, I need some help?

I have a step-daughter, ADHD, who is 8 who we put on adderall a couple of years ago. Things were great but she would come off of it. Then, she stopped taking it and like your son became depressed and talked about suicide. We were thinking to send her on counseling or change the therapy. We also need help with her.

I also have a step-daughter on Adderall. She has been in counseling also. There needs to be a strong bond/communication system between parents, teachers, doctors and counselors of these children taking Adderall. Counseling is weekly for us. I talk to her teacher A LOT during the week. A strong support system for the child is a must.

talk to your son and reassure you are there for him. i have gone through similar issues, therepists are not the answer in most cases. i reccomend herbs for anxiety, you can speak to me thru my myspace account, MYKAH PERILLO is my name and my display name is nameless. please come to me with your aderall concerns. beware aderall will result in dependense and is your son possibly just saying these things to keep himself on the drug. remember children are smart and i have friends who when it comes to staying on meds they will do most anything.

My 6 yr. old daughter is on Adderall and has become increasingly hateful, mean, and mouthy since she's been on this med. I'm getting her into see a child psychiatrist sometime soon...waiting on appt. I'm tired of all the med switch-a-roos that have happened since we've moved to where we live. She used to be on Daytrana patches, which totally worked for her, then we moved to where we live, and the Dr. here wanted to put her on Concerta, which is the pill form of Daytrana, because it wasn't a formulary med for our insurance. She couldn't swallow it, so they put her on Adderall XR and come to find out, the dose she was on for 2 mos. was TWICE what she was supposed to have for weight, so she was put on Adderall (regular) 5 mg. When she was on the higher dose, she was very antisocial, quiet, and extremely whiny and tired a lot. That was totally unlike her! Now, the one she is on, makes her mean and irritable. I'm getting tired of this! THIS is NOT my daughter! She's a very sweet and loving child...but since she's been on this med, she's totally changed!

AS FOR THE SUICIDAL CHILDREN: Quit sitting here on a forum complaining about your 8 yr. old LITTLE CHILD being suicidal, and take him to a freaking ER!!! Your child needs an in-house psych eval and treatment. I'm a former PSYCH NURSE!! I know what I'm talking about. Don't sit around hoping it gets better...or that it's just the meds...take it seriously!!! I had an inmate once who told me he slit his wrists when he was 8 YEARS OLD! Then he tried to rape his sister who was 5...when he was 9 years old. After that, when he was 10, he tried to burn their house down by setting the living room curtains on fire!!! It's no joke....if your kid says he wants to kill himself...HE DOES!!!! Take this seriously!!!

ok this has me VERY worried! my step son is 9 years old and was on the daytana patch and it was wonderful! it worked great! but his bio mom decided he needed a change because she didn't like having to put lotion on his hip every night after it came off to make the redness go away. so behind my husbands back she took him to the dr and had it changed to this Adderall? after reading all these warnings it has me very worried that he will have these problems too! today is the first day on it so we will see? just so you all know his mom... she is a 42 yr old who is an addict herself and just got outta jail on the 1/13/08 for another dui its her 5th so i wonder if she is even going to give it to him or sell them? any ideas?

Hey miss former psych nurse, stop bitching at her for looking for help. At least she is talking about it instead of ignoring the problem.

As for the original question, I hope that you did seek professional help for your child. I know that this is years after your post, but maybe we can help others.

ADHD medications are VERY dangerous and should only be prescribed by a Psychiatrist after months of evaluation and the patient should be monitored often while on the medications. ADHD meds have been linked to aggression, psychosis, hallucinations, suicidal thoughts and tendencies.

There have been several children, who had no previous signs of depression, commit suicide on these dangerous drugs.
PLEASE INSIST ON A PSYCHIATRIST EVALUATING YOUR CHILD BEFORE ANY MEDS ARE PRESCRIBED AND DURING ALL TREATMENT.

Adderall is linked to many psychiatric problems. Do one simple google search for Adderall suicide or adderall aggression. You will be shocked!!!! I would not put my child on that medication for anything in this world.

Please be careful. If they are prescribed these dangerous meds, talk to your children explain what they can feel and tell them to tell you right away and you can help them if it happens. Let them know that it is only the medication making them feel badly and not THEM!!!!!

I pray for all of you and your children!

You people are sick. How can you put children 8 years old and younger on Adderall. They are kids, they are hyper, why would you label this as ADHD? I don't care what the dr.'s test say. If a 25 year old acted like an 8 year old then they probably have ADHD; however, if a 8 year old acts like an 8 year old, then this is normal. Let your kids be hyper, discipline them when necessary, and get them tested for ADHD around the age of 13.

We are sick? My son is 8 years old and yes he has ADHD, he cannot focus in school, he cannot sit still, he can't remember the instructions given by his teacher, would you like me to sit in the classroom with him and discipline him there? By the time they are 13 they hate school and the teachers because of the struggle from the previous years. I know I have an 18 year old that struggled all through school. I don't agree with given them adderall but test them at 13? Come on what planet are you from?

Here is the deal, my son is doing great in school....  he's well behaved.. and his teacher says he has no sign of hyperactivity.  My ex-wife wants to put him on ADD meds because he has tempter tantrums. He's 6 years old.   She says he has emotional outbursts...  If you child is not able to focus in school, it's one thing, but why put him on this stuff and get him labeled if he's doing well. Meds are for those struggling.

My ex said I was ADD, when I went on the meds i could NOT focus.  In fact, it was dangerous, I would forget I put the car in reverse, walk into the house with the car running, drive down one way streets.  A desk that would have taken 45 minutes to put together without the meds would be there all day. I truley saw ON  the beds what a bad ADD is like, not being able to focus on one task and forgetting what you were doing last. That was not be, but it took MONTHS for my mind to really get back where it was. It's like it disconnected my train of thought. 

What he is is a normal 6 year old with parenting issues... for every one person who is ADD, there are more who are just children of people who want the easy way out on raising their kids.

Well, let me explain this to you very quickly...since you clearly have NO experience with what we go through. My son is ten years old, and was recently expelled from his private school for inability to sit still or stay quiet during class. Over the past three years, I have watched my brilliant, sensitive son spiral farther and farther away from the ability to control himself of his actions, and I have watched it make him utterly miserable, because I have done everything in my power to avoid putting him on any kind of medication, because the idea frankly horrified me. This month, as he cried time and time again over his school expulsion (he was unable to control the impulse to poke a teacher in the hand with a pencil- they expelled him, even though it wasn't a violent action and didn't cause her pain in the slightest), I decided the time had come to make some kind of change. I allowed him to be prescribed Adderall XR 10 mg on a trial basis. He is just starting out, but already he has stopped making the constant loud squawking noises that had become such a part of daily life, he has slowed down and is paying attention to his younger siblings and he just seems AT PEACE in a way that he has not been in a very long time. So, before you go judging people that are simply reacting to extreme situations that they never asked to have to cope with, you might want to consider the ramifications of your judgment calls. What the hell do you know about what us parents of children with severe ADHD go through, or how conflicted we are about the decisions that we have to make?

nephew tried to commit suicide