Hi everyone:
I am a 26 year-old male. I’ve recently diagnosed with ADHD. So far I’ve been using Ritalin (10 mgs every 3 hours), then switched to Concerta which I’m still using. I’ve heard for another medications used to treat ADHD. One of them is Focalin, which is a new drug related to Ritalin. Hs anyone here used Focalin? Is it any good? Thanks.

There are many medications used to treat ADHD and the best known are Ritalin, Focalin, Dexedrine, Adderall and Adderall XR, Metadate CD, and Concerta. I know that Ritalin, Dexedrine and Concerta have been on the market for long time and therefore they are the best “known”. On the other hand, Focalin is new on the market and I don’t think that enough people have used it to be able to objectively say weather is it good or not nor what are the most common side effects. I would wait bit more before using it – just to hear more experiences.

My son is on Focalin 10 mgs an I found it the most effective an with the least side affects...

My son was on Addreall XR for about 2 years, during that time he was not growing, had bad mood swings, didn't sleep very well and his anxiety got worse. We switched to Focalin XR 2 months ago and I see a big difference and so does he and his teachers. He's grown, no more angry outbursts and he's sleeping longer by about 2 hours. I say thats an improvement.

Your experience is not unusual, and these side-effects are the main reason why most prescribers tend to prescribe methylphenidate for children and amphetamines for adults. It's just a shame that it took two years to get him on the right medication.

Bear in mind that when he reaches adulthood, it is possible that the methylphenidate may become less effective, so don't let the fact that prescribing Adderall to him as a child was inappropriate lead you to conclude that it's a "bad drug." It works well for most adults, and even a few children.

my daughter is 14 and has been on focalin XR 10mg since her diagnosis a few months ago. the pill is extended release so she only takes it once a day and I love it! I was worried about giving her an ADHD drug because i heard horror stories about them changing the childs personality - zombie effects, but this doesnt apply to Focalin. Focalin gives her the ability to concentrate, it helps her to sleep better and her nervous ticks disappeared too! I would recommend Focalin to anyone, and the side effects are virtually non-existant! Hope this helps!

I've been on Focalin for a year and a half. I am over 55 - male. It has made a tremendous difference in my abilty to concentrate. It is non-formulary so it costs me $50 each time. I think it gives me loose stools. The Ritalin is very cheap but it makes me feel weird. No all I get is the generic focalin. I break the 10 mg tabs in quarters and take 10 mgs over the day. I should try the XR.

I have been taking Focalin for about 6 months. It has definitely helped my concentration. It has however made my personality change. Others say I am a bit mean and short tempered. Does anyone else experience this?

Focalin is the mirrow image molecule of Ritalin. Focalin (dextromethylphenidate) Ritalin(methylphenidate). It was created so they can take out the bad side efects of methylphenidate, so they create the dextro (right) molecule instead of the levo(left). On my 2 grandkids was working good but better on the extended realease. First we need to understand how our brain works, the 2 hemispheres togheter comunicating properly and then with a lot of monitoring you can find the right medication. Is a lot of facts, neurotransmiters, how good is the treatment, has to be a team work and caught on time. There is a congenital issue, you can inherit it, I had 2 of my 3 kids one ADD, one ADHD and now, 2 of the grandkids; from parents with it ,but no aceptance so the treatment is a little hard to put together even ,do I'm a pharmacist, after a stroke I'm in Aderall XR like one of my kids and is the only one that works, Vyvanse is got but not for everyone, my son ,his girl and myself can't use it, is a genetical issue, we get all the bad adverse efffects, but the worst is getting agresive. There is a lot of good information and diets but like our fingers, any ADD/ADHD case are different and we have to find wich is the perfect for each patient. Is not a magical cure, is a help and you have to document every day and see what dose is good for the patient and wich medication, has to be base and weight the benefits against the adverse efects. as patients is our responsibility to get educated and request the best way to manage our treatment.

I've been on Focalin XR for a year. I'm an 18 year old female. I weighed 150 pounds before and I'm now down to 120. It gives me an enormous ability to concentrate, I retain information a lot better...but I will be honest...the only reason I agreed to take it was because I knew it would make me lose some weight, however I did not expect 30 pounds. But I'm making straight A's in college, whereas, in most of high school I was pulling "C's" and a few "B's". I've tried Ritalin too...as a trial thing...I experienced severe panic attacks and had to go to the emergency room, so I stopped taking it.

But I would highly recommend Focalin XR. But the weight loss thing is something to think about...had I known it would make me lose that much, I would not have agreed to take it, but I still can't complain much.

Hope that helps :-)

I have taken just about every adhd med out there, concerta, adderall, Ritalin, you name it i've probably taken it. I found Focalin to be the best, it was also my last option. I literally dont feel any side effects, and on top of that. I dont get the crash that I would on Adderall. I take a 20 mg focalin XR in the morning, then a 10 mg Focalin non xr at around 2 or 3, that usually lasts me through work, recently its been wearing off earlier and earlier though.

I've been on Focalin for almost a year and was just about to have a nervous breakdown until I found this page and saw that I'm not the only person who has lost a significant amount of weight on this drug. I've lost 20 pounds, and I am still losing. I have been kind of spazzing out trying to figure out if I have something else horribly wrong with me, but I feel that taking a stimulant medication every day is probably the cause (I exercise often as well, but before starting Focalin I simply maintained my weight with exercise). It's kind of scary, especially since when I first started Focalin I lost maybe 5 pounds, then after about a month and a half the weight started falling off, and has been slowly melting off since. Exercise makes it happen a lot faster. The drug manufacturer should really market this as a weight loss drug...it works, and I had tried every diet ever. Lucky for me, I got ADD, huh? Now I can inhale food all day and as long as I exercise at least 20 minutes 3 times a week, I keep losing weight. 8-|

Im 28 female and was on Daytrana 20mg for almost a year and then was switched to focalin 10mg in the AM 10 mg in the PM. The drug has made me significantly more cheerful and has given me less anxiety than Daytrana used to, but in regards to concentrating the Daytrana was more effective. I think part of it is because the daytrana was a 9 hour long transdermal slow release, my extremely fast metabolism (i also have hyperthyroid syndrome) did not burn through it so quickly. I find myself having to use a lot of mind tricks and personal self control with the focalin than i used to with daytrana. For day to day, focalin is great. If you need to study or cram for extended periods of time. stick to ritalin or adderoll. If you want to decrease your dependancy on these drugs, i suggest you purchase some psych books on how to cope with ADD. Also, several therapists are using hypnotism as an extra aide to coping with ADD and have been having great success.

Guest wrote:

Hope that helps :) [/quote

What is your dosage?

I also agree with you guys. My son has been on Focalin since he was 8 (He's 14 now) a very positive
change in him. He focuses on his work, and he does not have a hard time clearing his mind anymore.
I noticed he has almost no side effects either, and from my knowledge it does have the least compared
to the other ADHD meds.