My doctor is on the preferred providers list and I trust him. He’s a good, solid, responsible family practitioner who has a large, healthy practice. My brother was diagnosed and treated for 2 years with Strattera by a psychiatrist who specialized in ADHD and was referred back to our family doctor after the firm diagnosis and medication stabilization process. Our doctor was against Strattera. Why are so many doctors against Strattera?

I guess that so many doctors are against Strattera because there are too many reports of the possibility that there may be long-term issues that haven’t been studied long enough. We have tried generic medications, cheaper medications, Ritalin does not work and kills his appetite and Concerta isn’t even on the “prior authorization” list — it’s denied outright. So, in the end we switched to Adderall in the hopes of getting some sort of co-coverage.

I was just given strattera today by my new doctor, i have had adhd depression and now really bad anxiety and now i am taking it for everything. i have taken this before when i was little but apparently switch for no reasons. i was hoping to get adderall since thats the longest drug i was on and it was very helpful in school. but he said that could be why i have anxiety now. so all and all i hope strattera works. he didnt seem like we was against it at all. so we will see how i feel in a month.

It took my 9 year old almost 5 years to get help! He was eventually diagnosed as adhd with impulse control disorder. I feel that I had to take my child to as many docs as I could until one of them would tell me that he needs medication! There are few docs who believe in treating children with "mind and mood" altering drugs. Most physicians don't think it's reasonable to even put a youngster on an antibiotic until absoloutly needed, let alone an ADHD drug!
Strattera is a non-stimulant medication that is the wisest of choices. Find a new doc who believes that ADHD symptoms are real and life altering. When you or your child needs a medication, then it should be given!
Good luck!
Mel

Neurologist, pediatrician and teacher all want my 4yr old son on ADHD meds... that's just crazy to me!!! I was given a script for Focalin 6 months ago and never filled it. I just can't, cmon 4 yrs old??!? And the best part is this kid isn't overly hyper or crazy or anything. He just has focus problems in school. At home he is perfectly normal! :-(

To the person with the 4 year old diagnosed with adhd. My daughter was diagnosed at 2 because we couldn't keep her in a daycare not because she was overlyhyper she just didn't want to be there. I too refused meds. When she hit kindergarten I was ready for them. She was behind because she couldn't focus her dad on the other hand wasn't. After failing kindergarten them passing her failing first grade them passing her he finally came around to the fact that it wasn't that she wasn't trying her hardest it was something wrong. They can have add and you will be amazed at all the things they learn in a small amount of time once the correct meds are in place. We did Strattera and it worked great for us but at the beginning of fifth grade my daughter asked to get off it. We let her. She made it through but has now asked to be back on it and I agree. She says she is getting where she can't focus again and I can see it in the day to day. So we are starting with Strattera again.

Your 4yr old is in School?

It amazes me that you took your kid to a doctor and then are completely ignoring their advice, why did you go in the first place, do you have a PhD..eer MD at the least? The world we are born into is corrupting our bodies what with all the synthetic/non-synthetic chemicals we are exposed to from birth, you think you know better than someone whose gone to medical school about what best for your child? You are ignorant of your child's needs, the only saving grace is that you knew well enough to take your child to a doctors. Yet you fully ignored a professionals advice in-favor of your own uneducated guessing? I feel sorry for your child and hope to god you are right that they only have focus troubles.

So basically you took him to the doctors because he doesn't pay attention well...Umm every thought though that that reason he doesn't pay attention well is that HES FOUR YEARS OLD!!!! And I'm willing to bet he isn't as normal at home as you say as you'd haev no reason to take him to the doctors, given the info that he's 4, what 4yr old pays attention to anything but the TV... really though. Your Post to me sounds completely made up.

Seriously? The only thing I can get is strattera! I was diagnosed with severe ADD when I was 12 and the only medications that worked are forms of ritalin and adderall. Adderall seemed to work better as the ritalin caused more side effects. The Strattera has never done anything for me aside from making me feel very tired and perform poorly at work. My last doctor took me off adderall, and it seems like doctors have something against adderall more than anything, the only perscription medicine that has really worked for me. 

With ADD you have an imbalance in your brain that makes you feel slow and uninvolved. The strattera just helps you pay attention to something but doesn't correct the chemical imbalance at all and actually makes it worse and makes you feel tired and unhappy. 

you are ignorant of what life is like for a child with ADHD. Shame on you for judging a parent trying to help her child

Thought I would share my experience with other parents using Straterra. I have a 14 year old and noticed major mood swings/anxiety which was off the charts. I took him off cold turkey because of all the issues...WRONG DO NOT EVER DISCONTINUE AND ADD MEDS ABRUPTLY!!! It caused my son to go through withdrawl almost had to hospitalize him over this issue...scared me to death. Even if its a NON-Stimulant it still has Seratonin properties in it.

Your experience sounds just like mine... Strattera did nothing... ask your doctor about Vyvanse... I liked how adderall worked, just didn't like the sweating, and wired feeling... vyvanse appeared to be doing nothing the first few days, because i was used to the hyper feeling of adderall. But i started to just notice things were working right... I was recalling things, able to read something... Not getting home from work and THEN remembering things i forgot to do while at work. This drug just makes me feel normal, i cant explain it. Best cure to my ADD I have ever came across.

parents who dont give there child meds are being selfish.

Adderol and vyvanse have the active ingredient of amphetamine. You're giving your kids legal speed (meth). If they don't want to behave at school pop their bottoms a few times. Explain the value of school. Try parenting instead of medication.

Different medications work differently for different people. Someone who responds well to one medication may find another does absolutely nothing for them, or even makes them feel worse. 

I have had ADHD since I was a child but as a child the only ADHD medications were stimulants like Adderall or Ritalin. I reacted very poorly to these. They made me nauseous, anxious, and feel like I was vibrating out of my skin. I would not take them, and my grades suffered for it.

When I got to college they had come out with Strattera. Strattera works great for me. I find focusing much easier. 

Some sufferers of ADHD can learn methods to focus without the aid of medication and some can not. Either is fine. Just make sure your child receives the support they need. Don't let your own prejudices and judgements get in the way of helping your child.

(PS- be careful with Vyvanse. It can cause psychotic breaks. My brother was on it for a short time and for a while we thought he was exhibiting paranoid-delusional schizophrenia)

I was on Strattera - and I think it made me feel worse in the long run - these ADHD meds have multiple reactions on the person and I do not know if they always work