I was told by a friend that adderall is like a legal meth. is that true?

Hi bsailer, no. Actually, adderall is not like meth because meth is a methamphetamine which is a type of drug, whereas adderall is more like an amphetamine. Adderall is better compared to uppers or speed, although it is again legal and in a smaller dose and typically not habit forming. What brought this conversation on with your friend anyway? Does your friend take adderall or has your friend used both adderall and methamphetamines? Just asking out of curiosity.

my doctor actually prescribed it to me to help make me be able to concentrate. i was just talking to my friend and told her and she gasped. i used meth before in my teen years, just experimented, and when i take the adderall, i don't get high. its interupting my sleep, but i am able to just concentrate on what i need to do through the day. i don't get sidetracked by my thoughts. my friend said i should not tell anyone i was on the medication, like i should be ashamed. i have an 18 month old son and i don't want to be strung out on unhealthy drugs. you have given me peace of mind.

I'm so glad you feel relaxed by it because there's a lot of people who are suspicious of Adderall and ADHD drugs in general. You have to research them sure, but they're not anything bad. And no, you certainly shouldn't be ashamed! I guess she might just not trust drugs like that. How are you feeling on it? How long have you been taking it now?

i am actually having trouble sleeping, but for me, the benefits are outweighing the bad stuff. i feel more level headed and i am more pleasant to be around.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble sleeping. What are the symptoms?

Hi bsailer, how are you doing now? I decided to email you because it's been awhile since I've heard from you and you were reporting some sleep problems before so I'd like to know if you've gotten over that or worked through it or if you need something to get to sleep? Let me know!

Actually you can get addicted to this substance just as easily because Adderall and Meth are both types of amphetamines, they both stimulate dopamine, seratonin and nerophedrine within the body which are highly addictive chemicals. Say if you take 3 30mg of adderall it has the same effect on you as if you smoked a bowl of meth. So don't let anybody fool you. ADHD can pass over time if your young, and the people that don't get passed it there are certain foods that actually control ADHD.

im actually on adderall right now, i have also experimented with vyvanse which is the new higher adhd medication that is taking over adderall. I have researched plenty on it and vyvanse is considered watered down speed. i would take 2 in the morning before school and i would be crazy during school. i would focus amazingly well but at the same time i felt great and incredible. i seemed to get out of hand with the vyvanse though taking 2 of the highest doses. They were not my medication either, i do not have adhd i simply took it because i liked the effects and they helped me tremendously in school. however i seemed to get almost addicted to the vyvanse and i loved being on it so much. i recently stopped with the vyvanse and started taking my moms lower dose adderall. e mail me for any questions i know a lot about prescription drugs. i can help out alot

The danger from meth is due to the exceptionally high concentration of the chemical that goes into the brain when meth is injected, smoked, or snorted, which makes meth neurotoxic when taken in these ways (which tends to be the norm for street users). Also, it is very difficult to regulate dosage with street meth (very few people even try or care as they are hopelessly addicted to the substance) -- its purity can vary wildly from batch to batch and from dealer to dealer, much in the same way that "ecstasy" (which can refer to a very wide array of different drugs, not just MDA/MDMA) does.

Also, the culture of street drugs in and of itself is dangerous, a consequence of their illegality which I believe tends to do more harm than good. Imagine a radical world where people could just walk up to a qualified pharmacist or MD and buy 8-balls of tweak, coke, heroin, weed, or any other drug, then imagine all the money being diverted from organized crime and other nastiness, then imagine all the drug addicts now having access to a frigging DOCTOR who might be able to treat their problems rather than wasting our tax dollars warehousing them in an iron fortress...

/end rant

With that said, "meth", or dextromethamphetamine, is hardly different from Adderall (combination of amphetamine/dextroamphetamine/levoamphetamine). Dextromethamphetamine can even be prescribed by a doctor for AD(H)D in the form of Desoxyn, but finding a doctor and pharmacy will be quite a challenge (doctors are reluctant to prescribe this, they aren't trying to get caught up). Also, it's doubtful any insurance is going to cover something like that (said profit mongers like to kick out cancer patients to please their shareholders so that their Q4 revenue can be 10% higher over Q3, are you kidding me?).

All this over a carbon atom and 3 hydrogen atoms...

My son a former athlete and ADHD student was prescrided 20mg adderall, when my son complain it wasnt strong enough I was concern but our doctor said ok. I trusted his judgement so I allowed it. After several months and his unusal behavior we found out my son is addicted to Adderall, and marijuana. He's tried cocaine, meth and ecstacy. I could not believe this, and when I read the side effects to adderall and its compared to meth I was shock!!
I learned that with high doses of adderall can lead to addiction to the drug as well as other drugs!!
So don't let your child take this stimulate drug. The risk isn't worth a better grade. There are other non-stimulate ADHD drugs out there.
Now my son is in drug rehab his senior year in high school.
His other drug friends are there and we may need to change schools.
So I wonder, if he didn't take Adderall, would he had started the other drugs.

He's in rehab doing well, but keeps bugging me for the adderall which I wont do. He doesnt care about the other drugs, just adderall!! o.O

Actually studies show patients with ADHD who are left untreated are more likely to abuse illegal drugs to unconsiously compensate. Also, patients with ADHD are more likely to try illegal drugs, treated or untreated, because of their impulsiveness and risk-taking tendencies.

ud be surprised how many people on adderall have regularly consumed, or still consume cannabis. They are on drugs (adderol) because they are on drugs (pot). Pot is well known to cause attention problems. Of course those people wont consider that pot is /was the root of their add/adhd in the first place. This problem shoudl be exposed more

If your son's brain needs Adderall to function correctly and override his ADHD then he needs Adderall to function correctly and override his ADHD, and no amount of wishing will change that. Denied access to the substance that makes his brain work better, he'll continue to look to dangerous, unregulated things such as meth to compensate. As the poster above me mentioned, his marijuana use may have enhanced his need for attention correctiveness, but if he's diagnosed ADHD then his brain will continue crying out for it. If you don't have ADHD, be grateful. It's like living in a frustrating fog, and when you happen upon something that'll help, you want it. Moreover, IT HELPS.

In addition, "trying" things is something kids simply do. Trying a drug once to check out its effects has nothing to do with addiction to a drug. If your son was honest that he'd tried those other things, I'd be grateful for the honesty. You're telling us you didn't try anything - drug or otherwise - that was somewhat countercultural when you were in your youth?

dopeamine and serotonin are released at high levels dont know bout norepinephrine becuae thats usually with downer drugs athough i think if you have adhd it does but ive been  sober for awhile i still get the feeling when in pain it natural phases of into a tingly cloudy relaxing feeling because i used to smoke alot of dope but i also  have adhd so the sh*t just makes me feel right in my skin rather when i was sober i felt wierd and not right in my mind. this has faded as i push myself to accomplish more and follow passions i have and basically want and long to feel my emotions with intensity and sensitivity. i thing adderall only works the same if you have adhd because if you dont meth  depletes your dopeamine at an overdriven rate. adderal works alot slower and has no nerve damaging chemicals that make you more paraniod and skitzo. when you have adhd though they stimulate your dopeamine to go at a normal pace because natural its too slow speaking if you have the predominantly inattentive type.