I have a friend who uses Focalin XR and he is always complaining about this medicine. Then he started to use Concerta so I was thinking he would be happy now. However, he still complains about both of those. Can you tell me some information about Focalin XR vs Concerta, because now I do not know what to think? Which of those two drugs is proven as better, what is your opinion?

An interesting difference between Concerta and Focalin XR is that the time release is not effective the same way. If the capsule is opened with Concerta, it is not effective, while Focalin XR can be opened and sprinkled on food for children averse to swallowing pills. Rotalin LA also offers this ability as Concerta as both uses the SODAS drug delivery system. I also look forward to the results of Focalin XR vs Concerta head-to-head trials. Focalin XR will rejuvenate Novartis's ADHD franchise, nearly doubling current revenues, which is proven. Focalin XR is generally perceived to act in less than one hour and remain effective for over eight hours. This medicine is also effective in treating children and adolescents with ADHD with few adverse effects, opposite to Concerta. Despite the strong therapeutic profile of Focalin XR, it will face competition from numerous branded and generic extended-release stimulants in the near future, before Concerta will. Despite the strength of Focalin XR's therapeutic profile and marketing potential, it will be hindered by generic stimulants and novel ADHD drugs. Concerta was not proven to be such as effective as this other, so my opinion is that Focalin XR should be better for him.

ive recently been prescribed focalin xr 15 mg . At first it would help me focus and keep me motivated. Its been 2 weeks and ive found that it makes me extremely irritable and foggy. It also only lasts about 6 hours and then i become extremely depressed. Is it just the wrong doseage?.. or is it the medication itself.

I see you posted this 19 days ago i was wondering if your symtoms are any better?
i just started this medication the 15mg and i have the same symtoms, yet extreme insomnia and headaches and the symtoms you had.
ive also done the 10mg and the 20mg but they did the same.
Did you switch meds or did you just stick with it?
Advice? Thanksss :-)

Hi. I have a 12 year old daughter that was taking this medication. It was horrible for her. Dr. started her off on 5 mg, and then gradually bumbed her up to 20 mg. As "Kristy" said, my daughter was extremely irritable and depressed. Crying all the time and she did not know why. At school, her teacher told me that she would zone out and her brain seemed to be foggy. So, I have taken her off the medicine for like 3 days and she is "back to normal". Smiling and happy. Not sad and crying and irritable. Her Dr. wants to try her on Concerta. I am kind of leery now. :-(

My son has done MUCH better on Concerta than Focalin. The amount of Focalin he had to take to make any difference in his behavior ended up making him lethargic and grouchy. With the Concerta XR, he seems much more pleasant, and he doesn't complain about stomach aches and headaches anymore.

I would stay away from any ADD meds with methlyphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin). If you feel it is absolutely necessary to put your daughter on medication I would suggest asking your doctor about Adderall or Strattera. Adderall is another stimulant, but it is different than focalin, and Strattera is a non-stimulant that may suit your daughter if she has trouble with the stimulants.

excercise intensely to get to sleep. That way you get two benefits : sleep and better health

and drink lots of water for the head aches. Chances are you are dehydrated.

my son was on focalin xr 10mg and was working great but when he was coming towards the end of the 8 hours he was very moody and irritable. his dr changed him to concerta 27mg and with him it does not work as well and his appetite has went down bad, and also having problems with him going to sleep even with a dose of melatonin before bedtime. im looking to either ask to go back to focalin 10 mg and have a small afternoon dose to last till bed time or try another mediation. does anyone have any suggestions or first hand experience with what I should do?

Did you try concerta? My son was also on focalin and now they gave me concerta but i havnt given it to him yet

I know this may come a bit late for you, however I think you are absolutely right to ask to switch back to Focalin XR plus a small afternoon dose to help ease the comedown.

Concerta is racemic (levo and dextro isomers) Methylphenidate while Focalin is just the dextromethylphenidate isomer, so it could be that your son does not respond as well with the levo isomer in it.,

Also your son was prescribed a comparatively lower dose of Concerta. Concerta 27 mg is equivalent to 7.5 mg of Methylphenidate taken 3 times a day plus 20% to even out the peak and valleys of the stimulant. So 27 mg of Concerta would equivalent to Focalin XR 7.5 mg if they made that dosage and if it lasted 12 hours instead of 8 hours. Concerta 36 mg would be the closest match in terms of dosage strength to Focalin XR 10 mg.

However the longer action of Concerta and the presence of the levo isomer might be what are contributing to the irritability, appetite and sleep problems. Since the Focalin XR 10 mg was working great, the doctor could just prescribe a lower dose of Focalin immediate release of 2.5 mg to help ease the comedown. Or another option would be to switch to Vyvanse.

Hello I am Sophia
I was reading your comments about Focalin vs Concerta. I noticed you said that Focalin caused stomach aches with your son. I have been having a number of stomach problems. I've been on Focalin for about 3 years. I take 40mg XR in the morning and 20 mg in the afternoon. I started having stomach problems in January. I know have Gastroparesis a condition that interferes with the digestion of your food and causes sever pain. I want to get off the Focalin after reading your comments. Has the Concerta caused any stomach problems at all ?

My son doesnt tolarate strattera stomach upset and also present alopecia , we discontiue the medication and the hair start growing back , he is taking since fourth grade concerta now he is in 11th.

I was raised on stimulants since 10 years old. I was perscribed 108mg of Concerta? I lived a miserable childhood, how the f**k do you parents put your kids on such drugs at such young age. ADHD is caused by lack of physical exercise, depression, lack of sleep, as much as it is genetic. Kids don't want to do sports they suck at, and they will suck at basketball if they are short and they will suck at baseball probably cause they have attention problems...and because its a slow boring sport.