Hi, my son is 7 years old and he is suffering from ADHD. His doctor prescribed him new medication few days ago so I would like to know something more about it. New medication is dexadrine and if someone had experience with this drug please tell me about it.Thank you.

Hi, dexadrine is stimulant which is used in treating ADHD. By some opinions it is potentially best drug of that type. It may last whole day in some cases and it showed no side effects. However it is very individual how your son would react on this medication so you need to follow situation and consult with doctor if needed.

Hi Thorsten

Dexadrine is a very strong prescription drug. It is a schedule II drug, in the same category as morphine and cocaine. I am surprised that your doctor has prescribed this. Some doctor's refuse to prescribe this drug. Has your son tried concerta, aderall, or strattera? These drugs do just as well - depending on the individual of course- but are not as "hefty" - if you know what I mean. According to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy, "Schedule II — drugs with a high abuse risk, but also have safe and accepted medical uses in the United States. These drugs can cause severe psychological or physical dependence. Schedule II drugs include certain narcotic, stimulant, and depressant drugs. Some examples are morphine, cocaine, oxycodone (Percodan®), methylphenidate (Ritalin®), and dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine®)." Please consult with your doctor again before permanently putting your child on dexedrine. My boyfriend and my brother have taken it and admitted that it is highly addictive. Please do not take this medication lightly.

I worked on a children's psych unit for over 10 yrs. and can tell you with my knowledge and experience Dexedrine is by far the best and most effective drug at treating ADHD especially in very young children. The key is to keep the dose as low as possible, you don't want all the symptoms to disappear, you just want it to level the playing field so to speak. Make sure your child is involved in as many sports and as physically active as possible because this will also reduce the amount of medication he needs. Ritalin can have horrible mood effects on kids, make them zombie like one minute and irritable and cranky the next. Adderall is hit or miss, but usually requires higher doses than dexedrine to be effective and then you can run into insomnia, Concerta is long acting Ritalin, I've seen kids become extremely obsessive on this drug and it tends to wipe out personalities. Straterra I never saw help anyone, it did not have, in my opinion, good enough research behind it prior to it's approval, and in one study I read it stunted the growth of the sex organs in laboratory animals - too new to know what kind of effect it will have long term on people, but wouldn't want my kid to be the guinea pig! Dexedrine has been around the longest and from my experience has the lowest side effects. Remember to give it after your son eats breakfast, so it does not effect appetite. Sustained release are sometimes more effective and easier to dose.