My son is 11 years old and he is prescribed on adderall. He has been taking it for 1.5 year now and I am worried that he may be addicted on it. He is under constant doc supervision…anyway, can you tell me is adderall addictive? I am worried about him, what will happen after he finishes therapy.

Adderall is a prescription drug classified as a stimulant. Adderall increases the amount of certain chemicals in the brain and peripheral nervous system and it is considered safe when used to treat ADHD under a physician's supervision. I don't want to worry you but I read that The US Drug Enforcement Administration has found that Adderall can cause physical dependence, but it has a higher risk of causing psychological dependence.

Adderall is amphetamine salts, so yes, it /can/ be addictive. But it sounds like you're doing the right thing by keeping your son under the doc's supervision. Next time you visit, ask your doc what the symptoms of physical addiction are so you'll know what to look for when he is eventually taken off the meds.

Adderall XR is not addictive in the same way caffeine or nicotine is. Your son may find he performs better on Adderall XR at school, home or with friends and so remains compliant becasue there is an obvious benefit.
He may at some point develop a tolerance which may require an increase in dose or change in medication (methylphenidate based product).
If your son is performing to his ability I would not worry about addiction as he is 6X more likely to get involved with illegal substances when off is meds. Ask your doc.

Adderall is addictive, and Adderall is not Methylphenidate, its Levo/dextro-amphetamine.

Amphetamine based stimulants are addictive, and furthermore Adderall is basically pharmesutical Meth.

I can't tell you how many friends I have that were prescribed Ritalin and Adderall as kids, then trying Meth in their teenager years and instantly becomming addicted.

Adderall can moderate physical and severe mental dependance, if your child is still on this medication, you might want to try an alternative to Dopamine/Noephinephrine re-uptake inhibitors.

Exercise, therapy, and proper dicipline are all healthy ways your child can deal with his/her issues.

Alright person above me, your giving a fairly biased review on the drug. First, most prescription drugs are addictive. But you have to abuse them to become addicted. Yes its a amphetamine but you can not compare it to Methamphetamine, and in no way is it pharmaceutical Meth. There is pharmaceutical meth and it is distributed throughout addict clinics.
Adderall is D/L amphetamine like you said, but is not nearly as addictive as methamphetamine. Meth is extremely addictive after the first dosage while you really have to abuse adderall to become physically addicted ( I am not denying abuse is very easy). They are both amphetamines but that is because they are both synthesized, and contain the same base. But they do not act on the mind on body the same.
As for your friends that are addicted to methamphetamine, that is their personal fault and there environmental influences. There is no reason what so ever that someone that took Ritalin or Adderall as a kid would have some sort of "relapse" or anything of the sort of being addicted or wanting the same feeling after not having the drug for years. And as you said, as kids they took the medicine and nothing bad ever happened but the first time they did meth they were addicted. I grew up on a fairly heavy dose of Ritalin and stopped in 7th or 8th grade and have never wanted to take or even be near meth or meth addicts.

I agree that exercise, therapy(when needed), and proper discipline is a must with anyone.

Adderrall is not physiologically addicting in the same manner that drugs such as suboxone, percocets, or other barbiturates. Adderrall can cause a person to become dependent on the drug for several reasons. When an individual takes adderrall they tend to mentally function at a higher level and become more efficient in many respects. This ability to increase success in certain areas of life may cause the individual to become dependent on the drug. I say this because I know from first hand experience. When in college myself and my roommates used the drug to help us study and it allowed us to have longer, more productive study sessions which resulted in better grades. What never happened was any type of withdrawal symptoms when we stopped taking the drug. There were times where we took the drug for a week at a time and upon stopping still never experiences withdrawal symptoms. A person can see themselves slightly more fatigued or irritable when they stop taking the drug after extended use but a pattern of withdrawal, seen when drugs like barbiturates are stopped, will not occur.

Adderall IS addictive. I had a problem with using it. I dont have add or adhd and was taking very high doses regularly for recreational use. I wouldnt worry about your son as long as he follows the doctors directions and doesnt think about the medication as something he NEEDS to function properly

just ask the doctor. youd be lucky if one of these people is right. and how the hell are you comparing aderall to meth

frogman42999 wrote:

Adderall is addictive to someone like you that does not suffer from add or adhd. Granted within a week or two you can build up a tolerance and feel the need to take more but that's why it is important to take breaks from it. I take 2 a day (20 mg) as I was prescribed unless there is nothing going on at work that doesn’t require me to pay attention along with weekends off. People who don’t have add or adhd (like you) like the feeling of ready to go and do stuff. I have no problem not taking them on the weekends. If the doctor see's something is wrong they will quickly stop prescribing Adderall to that person.

@ Guest - thank you so much for your reply. You really eased my mind..I am under a doctors care and have been taking aderall for 5 days now. I am a recovering alcoholic  with 14 years of sobriety and I bi-polar taking Lamictal. I have been under a doctors care for 7 years now, but I have many concers surrounding this particular drug. My doctor and I are working together to see if this is the right medicine for me..kind of on a trial basis. I have three children ages 8, 2,& 1. We are very busy and I become very overwhelmed. So far this drug is keeping me focused. What has been your experience. Is this psycologically addictve and how long does one typically stay on it

adderall is highly addictive

From a user of adderall i would say taking ur son off it, would be the best thing you could do for him. the "super coke" is very addictive, once you get sucked into the pill, theres a small chance of getting out. you can tell who replys on this post, the "docters" saying its not addicitve and has no side effects trying to make that extra buck. Then you can see who uses it and is additced to it by the post that tell you to get him off it. if you have any more questons google "adderall addictions".

I have recently started taking adderall and I am in college. I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid but we never did anything about it and my grades suffered throughout school. I have to say that this medication has helped me a lot. When I actually take it I can get all my homework done and focus on tests and it even helps me out at work. I think that is a bit overboard calling it "super coke" and calling it highly addictive. Every person is different, some may develop an addiction and some may not, it depends on a lot of factors. If one comes from a background of addictive behaviors than yes this would not be a good medication for them. If you follow the proper dosage and visit your doctor regularly to make sure that you aren't having side effects or developing an addictive tendency towards it I don't see how it would be so terrible. This medication just may well save my grades for college and help me to be successful. How is that a bad thing?

It's good to get everyone's feedback on subjects like this. I am 40 years old and have been on Adderall for over a year now. Presecibed because of ADD. 20mg seemed too high for me and felt like "super speed" so I know take 10mg twice/day. There are benefits and draw backs like most drugs. When I first started taking it, it amazed me because it is supposed to be a stimulant (ie. speed) but when I was taking the right dose for me 10mg, it actually made me feel more relaxed and slowed me down a bit. That's the purpose of it in people who actually need it. To help you slow down and concnetrate on normal things... I used to do things like come back in the house 2,3 and even 4 times to grab things I fogot when trying to leave the house :(  It has helped with things like that, to slow down and rememeber things.

The draw backs are - I think it can be addictive, I notice when I do stop taking it for a day or two I am very irritable and my mood swings are not good :( my patience is very short with people. I think it's very important to try and find a happy medium if there is one ?? We are now dealing with the possibility of our younger son (8) dealing with ADD/ADHD as well :(  He shows many signs of typical ADHD person. He is very active, not what you would consider most people's view of an ADHD kid... he's not bouncing off the walls. We have seen kids that can't even slow down to focus or catch their breathe and that's not him. He focuses very well when he is involved in a project at school, thankfully he loves to learn new things. His grades are good thus far. But he is extremely active and it gets in his way at school as well. when he has free time he gets very active to occupy himself and it can disturb the class and teacher. When he gets wound up it's difficult for him to stop and listen at school and at home. He is forever forgetting things and cannot keep track of his own stuff... he leaves boots on the bus, jackets at school, water bottles or balls behind at sporting events, just looses things constanly. Is that ADHD or just being a kid ? I'm not sure and we are exploring the options. He's a great kid and has a heart of gold towards others. He's a great athlete and stands out on a team, he plays everything and coaches, players and other parents comment on his athletic skills. We as most parents do not want to put our child on medication and we will explore all other options as treatment unless it comes to a point where his grades and other things are very effected by his behavior. Exercise is supposed to be a very good defense or help for people with ADD/ADHD, it's pretty obvious to us that when he is playing sports regularly he is much better focused and overall much happier kid. we intend to keep him very involved in sports and activities. I'll try and keep you posted on our progress.....