I was wondering what dosage people are taking of Adderall XR. I am currently taking 50mg per day and for about 2 months it was great. This last month has been horrible because it feels like I have built up a tolerance. I get about 3 hrs relief and then the withdrawal symptoms hit. From what I am reading, people dont even take as large a dose as I do so I am thinking that my Dr wont give me an increase in dosage. I am totally afraid to stop taking it because the withdrawals are so bad. Any feedback? Thanks

It depends how bad the ADHD is. Most people take between 25-50mg per day. What type of withdrawal symptoms do you have when stopping?

Hi
Thanks for the response. About 12 noon I start feeling extremely tired, fatigued, depressed and extremely irritable. As the day wears on those symptoms increase. I cant even push myself to function and I just obsess on how crappy I feel. I am really sick of myself cuz all I can think of is me.

You should possibly speak with your Doctor about splitting the dosage up. Maybe 25mg in the morning and 25mg in the afternoon. It doesn't sound like you should be increasing the dosage anymore because basically you will feel good for the first couple of weeks and the same thing will hapen where you feel horrible and even more so because the dosage has increased. Adderall is a good drug, but should not be something that you have to take to make you function in everyday life.

Thank you, I kind of figured that I was at the maximum dosage. I guess I will discontinue the medication because the few good hours are not worth the rest. I am not looking forward to it because I think I will be sick for a few days at least. Well thanks for confirming my decision

your welcome. Before you discontinue make sure you consult your doctor before doing so. You want to taper down a bit so it's not a complete shock to your body. Good Luck

Hi there, I agree with what Ant has posted. Are you going to be consulting a doctor about getting off the Adderall? I think it's a good idea to investigate that option because you could really go through a lot of hell. Let me know, okay?

I started on Adderall (instant) at 5mg twice a day in Oct. 09, then after 2 weeks to 15mg of Adderall XR twice daily. In Jan. 2010 that increased to 15mg 3 times a day. In March 2010, to 20mg 3 times a day, and my most recent (July 2010) dose increase is to 30mg 3 times a day, for a total daily dose of Adderall XR = 90mg daily. It fully depends on you, how you react. PDR is only a guide, and many ADHD doc's prescribe up to .5mg per pound of bodyweight. Tolerance DOES BUILD QUICKLY, so its advisable not to take more than your daily prescribed dose since doing so only increases tolerance and will make your prescribed dose ineffective very fast.

I have learned just by studying up on sites like this and asking others who take it, my cousin's daughter for instance. When she builds up resistance her doctor will switch her to ritalin for awhile and then when she tops out at that one back to adderall. Hers is an extreme case and my cousin told me about extreme signs at a very young age. My parents did (and my dad still doesn't) not believe in medicine therefore I became first an anorexic/bulimic until I discovered alcohol and self-medicated with that until a few rehab visits. Medicine and therapy have finally made me feel "normal." My withdrawal is not really bad because I also take an antidepressant (Paxil). Maybe that combo will help? But I also take a couple days off every now and then and that works for me. Self-analyzing and finding what works for you and how you feel is the best thing, but I honestly believe that the antidepressant is why I really don't feel alot of withdrawal. Maybe try a low dose one if you can take those. Hope I helped.

Chrisahx, I don't think any physician would prescribe Adderall XR 3 times a day; there's no way. XR stands for extended release, it's prescribed once in the morning so in the evening wears out and you can sleep at night...

Actually, adderall xr works on a 2 dose system. If taking 50mg, you are really only getting 25mg, and 4 hours later, the second 25mg is released. I take 40 xr in the morning, and 20 instant release in late afternoon. My Dr. is very well respected, and actually trains others on how to dispense addictive drugs. I have noticed similar symptoms with the xr, like increased anxiety towards the end of the dose. I will be switching to 20mg IR 3x a day because of that. I actually sleep much better since starting adderall. It's common if adderall is the right adhd medicine for you. The other meds common in treating adhd ( vyvance, concerta ), caused extreme anxiety and insomnia with me.
I have been on a very long list of different meds for 15+ years, and I recommend to everyone: Know what you are taking. Research any and all meds prescribed to you. Make the meds work for you, not against you. Did you know many anti-depressants are inhibited by just drinking orange juice? Most people don't. Again, research, research, research. Sounds like a good idea when putting something in your body that may make your life much better, or much worse.

jbates....I REALLY hate to inform you of this but you are in the beginning stages of chronic fatigue syndrome....so am I. Talk to your MD about it and do some research on your own to be informed. It CAN get bad and those who suffer it to it's fullest degree say they would rather have cancer or the like. Some wish they were dead. They experience what's known as a "crash." They describe it as a week or more of being a bedridden invalid.....so PLEASE......and I doubt you'll even get this as I see your inquiry was over a year ago......but see your MD about it if he hasn't by now, diagnosed you as CFS.. Godspeed....yvette in Indy

I take 10mg XR between 2-4xs a day. Some days the 2 are plenty, others even the 4 doesn't seem to make much difference. I rarely take days off though. Vyvanse i had to take twice a day and gave me sustained irritability after the first month. I think it messed with my sleep cycle. I dreampt less and felt exhausted most of the time. Stratera turned me into a robot. Tried going off of stimulants and got very upset at myself for my decreased capacity to get anything done and stuck in my head after a week i started taking it again. I hope to get to a time where i can be off the medications (effexor. gabapentin) but right now i need to get stability in my life however i can.