:D I am 71 years old in another week. I have always be physically active and mentally active all my life. about 4 years ago I started to forget words I knew for years, I started to get edema in my lower legs, I had to start taking blood pressure medication, but I was most concerned about being so tired all the time. Head bobbing on the freeway when driving etc. Two years prior to that my wife had a stroke due to the Operating Room not watching her drop in blood pressure and that starved the temporal region of the brain. I did a lot of research about loss of speech and how words and phrases were formed. One of the articles I read was the use of Dextroamphetamine salts to cause the synapse to start firing again and wake up seemingly dead but just sleeping brain cells.
(It worked for her completely) Back to Adderall. . . with that thought in mind I wanted to try the same tests to see if it would correct (even partially) the lost of words and I assumed it would also help the tiredness. I thought that I would keep very close check on my blood pressure etc just in case it spiked.

I started with 20mg of Generic Barr 10mg in the morning and 10mg at noon. In less than a week I could see and feel the difference. Two years have passed since I started this regiment. I have topped the dosage off at 40mg once a day in the morning. (! am 6'2" 225lbs, and definitely non-addictive) The side effects taking 40mg /day are ALL POSITIVE! Blood pressure is now 120 over 70-75 with half the medication. The edema is 80% less than it was. I am alert and awake (not high on speed, normal!) I don't keep losing words in conversations or doing PowerPoint Seminars. (I wish it would help me loose a few pounds but that it is not doing).

I am sure that not every older person will have the same positive results from taking Adderall but doctors should certainly look at expanding this as a possible treatment for many of the age related problem we face. It is bound to relieve a lot of depression for seniors as well.

I have tried several times to contact Shire and Barr, Barr never has responded. Shire interest was only my comment that my lips and mouth would be slightly dry within 3 hours of taking the medication seemingly triggered by drinking coffee. There was no interest in ALL the positive effects. Too bad:!:

RTFavara

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Update on the above Post:

My weight has leveled off at 198 lbs and 36" waist. Blood pressure is 110 over 70 and my blood pressure medication has been cut by over 50%. My Edema is virtually gone, I can give speeches again (no word loss). I can take classes after work with excellent retention. I sleep well no need for a Cpap machine or anything. Of course my Black Labrador curled up at the bottom of the bed adds to the contentment of the evening. (grin).

I need to find another doctor very soon. He is leaving and the Veterans Administration doesn't have Adderall in their Pharmacy. If anyone knows a doctor that prescribes Adderall in Los Angeles area please let me know. I would like to talk to someone that can help to unravel the reason this medication has turned around my aging process so well, and why isn't it being used on more older people. My mind is back, problem solving is fun again. I skipped grades in school graduated high school at 15, developed a way to remove inert gases from the atmosphere, discovered a here to fore unknown Mayan Ruin, etc. all that stopped until I started taking Adderall. Since I can think again I have three products ready to be patented. (1 medical (kidney stones), 1 for photography, 1 for home security). Whoever at Shire developed this magical powder should be rewarded. I would really like to meet him sometime.

I just though that everyone should know how wonderful Adderall has been for me, and hopefully my positive reaction to it will push doctors to try it on other older people to give them life in the autumn of their years.

hi

what did your Dr. perscribe it for??

Your 20 yrs older then I BUT, when I was a kid they didn't think you could have ADD and have a high iq, AT LEAST THATS THE INFO

THAT i WAS AROUND.

I think some still view it this way. I could have benifited a long time ago

from this med. I am bright, I think I was more intelligent when I was younger and if I could have only focused then the way I do now???

WHO KNOWS

I AM A SEVENTY YEAR OLD MALE THAT IS PHYSICALLY ACTIVE AND STILL WORKS FULL TIME. I TAKE BOTH THE ADDERALL XR AND THE ADDERALL TABLET. I TAKE A TWENTY MG CAPSULE IN THE PM AND A TWENTY MG TABLET IN THE AM. I'M HAVEING A HARD TIME TRYING TO UNDERSTAND WHAT TO EAT IN THE AND WHEN TO EAT IN THE AM AND PM AND HOW TO BALANCE TAKING THE ADDERALL WITH MY FOOD INTAKE. ANY TYPE OF FEEB BACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. TRACY

you have no idea how happy i am right now. i have been taking adderall xr for ten years and i am 45, lately i have begun to almost worry about the fact that i may need to stop as i get older. this med has changed my life. as for food intake . i would try to make sure you get your protein not too many fast burning carbs. but eating small amounts four times a day. small amounts. seems to work better than having big meals .. the bigs meals..seem to "drain" the effect of the med for me anyway. thanks again

I take xr 30 mlg ..make sure you eat before u take it ..trust me it works even if its a small amount do not take adderol without eating first it messes up your appetite..

I have been taking Adderall XR for around 10 years since I was diagnosed with ADD. I stopped taking it for a while after I retired and found that I was forgetting things, could not find the words I was looking for during a conversation, Had no desire to move out of my chair and was falling asleep when i sat down to read a book or watch TV. I started the Adderall again but I was on a dose of 25 Mg because that apparently is the lowest dose the XR comes in or at least that my doctor knows of. He tried giving me the regular salts tablets but they were horrible. I am now back to the generic XR since my insurance will not cover the Adderall XR brand. I find it better for me to open the capsule and empty a small amount out since the 25 MG seems too strong for me. I have not lost weight ( wish I would) as a matter of fact I have gained a few pounds. I am 5.5 180 pounds and feel so much
more alert, aware and focused when I am on this medication. I will keep taking it as long as my doctor is willing to prescribe it for me.

Me too. I started on stimulents when I turned 40 , I am 63 on vyvance 60 mil. And 100 Zoloft . I used to worry about later in life. Not now.

Glad to see (but not surprised) that Adderall is working so well for you. I had to discontinue mine last year, at age 68, when my shrink retired, and have been unable to find another who will prescribe. Does anybody know of a psychiatrist (any type of doc, actually) in IOWA who will prescribe Adderall? I am female & almost 70. I was Dx'd originally Adderall for Narcolepsy at age 50, and discovered that my whole brain just "switched on" with Adderall. I functioned so much better that my doctor tested me and concluded I have adult-onset ADD. (No "H"). I took Adderall for about 20 years and the consequences of being without it now are devastating. I am having all the effects you have described, and more. I have a PhD, but am feeling very unintelligent these days. I have become socially isolated as I am so embarrassed by my symptoms! I can't do basic math, cannot locate words at times, am so terribly disorganized that I can't work at my profession, can't stay awake appropriately, and seem to be in a fog most of the time. This is NOT fun. I recently had a complete Neuropsych exam that indicated I have no dementia, which was a big concern as I feel so incompetent! Except for Crohn's Disease I am very healthy - low BP, low cholesterol, low blood sugar, etc. However, I have gained about 20 pounds since D/C Adderall, which is not a good thing. I am so desperate to find a doc in IOWA who will prescribe for me! My life is so diminished at this point that no matter how many years of life I have remaining, I don't want to live it feeling like this. These are supposed to be my Golden Years (Damn it!) And they feel more like Leaden years. Thank you to everybody over 60 who has responded here. I might be able to use this anecdotal info to support my request, if I can ever find an Iowa doctor who will write the Rx.

I just started Adderall XR.10.mg. Have history depression/anxiety. I have always had issue with listening to long stories, complete lengthy projects. Depression/Fatigue. Thus far the Adderall has really helped. No MD ever suggested. In Florida no problem finding an MD to prescribe. FYI. Have monthly F/U. Will need to increase, seem to not be working as well after a few weeks. ?do you have to keep going up with dose or does it stabilize? Not addicting, just want to feel better.