I am a 22 year old female and have been taking adderall (regular and XR) for several years. I have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and began taking adderall to help me in school and at work. I am a psychology major and only recently have I taken it upon myself to research in depth all the medications I have taken over the years specifically I was interested in the side effects of Adderall and what I found was truly unnerving.

The current DSM (diagnostic and statistical manual) basically the bible of any psychologist or psychiatrist details up to date information gathered by millions of doctors and scientists regarding medications used to treat everything from ADD to high blood pressure. The most disturbing side effects that I have come across were of Adderall XR

side effects that have been most reported are as follows;

Cardiovascular: Palpitations, tachycardia, elevation of blood pressure, sudden death, myocardial infarction. There have been isolated reports of cardiomyopathy associated with chronic amphetamine use.

Central Nervous System: Psychotic episodes at recommended doses, overstimulation, restlessness, dizziness, insomnia, euphoria, dyskinesia, dysphoria, depression, tremor, headache, exacerbation of motor and phonic tics and Tourette's syndrome, seizures, stroke.

Gastrointestinal: Dryness of the mouth, unpleasant taste, diarrhea, constipation, other gastrointestinal disturbances. Anorexia and weight loss may occur as undesirable effects.

Allergic: Urticaria, rash, hypersensitivity reactions including angioedema and anaphylaxis. Serious skin rashes, including Stevens Johnson Syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis have been reported.

Endocrine: Impotence, changes in libido.

That's alot of negative side effects for one ADD med yet doctors and patients alike keep using it. Adderall is currently the most commonly prescribed ADD/ADHD med in the U.S. The side effects of adderall XR are far more serious and increasingly reported as opposed to the generic or Non-XR adderall. I currently take both but am contemplating switching to just the generic and getting off the XR but I have not been able to find any significant studies on people that stop taking one and continue taking the other. If anyone knows about possible side effects of stopping the XR while continuing the generic please let me know.