I started taking Adderall XR about eight months ago for adult ADD. At the time I was 175 lbs. Since taking it I have dropped to 155 lbs. although this sounds like a plus but I’m afraid it will continue to drop because my appetite is almost gone. Any adults on Adderall out there who can give me some thoughts?

What dose are you on? I think you should discuss lowering dose with you physician. Maybe try regular adderall and titrate it. Strattera is a good non stimulant alternative, I know because I tried with it. I had a similar problem with Adderall XR and I just changed the dose. Take care.

I have lost wt. with adderall XR and was going to go off of it. I was hesitant to keep taking the medication, but also knew I was tired of fighting ADD for so long. Make sure and look at your life and see if there is anything that is causing you to drop the wt. My drop in wt. was due to loosing my Father in Law. So I thought it was the medication and really it was the stress and saddness of loosing my Father in Law. I have since been on a higher dosage of adderall and have maintained my wt. Also ask your doctor about going down to a smaller dosage. Being on to high of a dosage can cause your wt. loss. Maybe just having it dropped by as little as 5 mg. could help.

I'm 53 years old, reasonably well adjusted, but suffered from restlessness, boredom, mild insomina, and had diffifulty concentrating. Placed on Adderall XR 25 mg, one a day. Well, my concentration improved immensely. I took to reading philosoply, playing more guitar, and can focus on almost anything. The downside? This drug is very addicting. I don't feel I'm "someone else" because I read more, especially philosophy. That's great. Like I say it has positive effects. But.. I feel like I'm buying peace of mind, knowledge, creativity, etc., on credit. When I'm on Adderall, it's very easy for me to rationalize my reasons for taking it. I seemed to have developed an addiction to listening to philosophy on my ipod as well. It really comes down to better focus and I'll admit, I procrastinate less, and I do get more accomplished. But what I know is this. This is a "free" high. Nothing in life is free. A drug is not the answer. My plan? Get off the drug but.. I'll accomplish a few more goals, I'll exploit the positive effects of this med to the extent I can honestly measure gains, and then I'll go into rehab if I have to, to quit. I would recommend (if you think you're hooked) to turn your attention to philosophy or religion, something spiritual because you're gonna need it when you quit. I hate math, mediocre at science. On adderall, I don't even need people, just intellectual stimulation-I now apprehend the beauty of math and I love science. Adderall, like so many other drugs, used as directed can be a temporary fix. But don't cop out with the "My Doctor says.." One needs to really look at oneself and deal with the world as it is. These remarks are directed to no one but those that might feel like me. Life is tough, but things like love, needing and being needed, integrity, etc.. these are the real things and the absence of real things in our lives makes us love stuff like adderall. Face the face. And best of luck. I'm only passing judement on myself. Take care and get drug free. Look, if you're at all cerebral (I'm average), go to the ipod store, download something like, "Sarte in 90 minutes" by Paul Strathern or even Schopenhauer. Better yet, try Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything." It's got History/science/philosoply and it's written for the layman. You'll love it and you'll know that Adderall (and things like it) have their place, but by discovering the true wonders of this world, you'll know you don't need drugs. The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves. The first step to gaining knowledge for me, was discovering I knew nothing. I honestly believe our diet, lifestyle, our world too, negatively effects our mental health. Maybe we should back-off a bit and really take a look at ourselves-adderall can help us with this, but after you've discovered what you need & want, ditch the drug!

Im in college and i am prescribed to Adderall XR 30mg a day, and Im doing gret with it i get all my work done in a short period of time....and get better grades...i seem to understand things better....but if you are only taking it for speed use you will build a tolerance to it and want more and more kinda like coke, and become addicted and it can be very harmful as in DEATH related in over usage for a long period of time.

I am 22 and my doctor that says i'm in the highest
bracket of functioning people with
schizophrenia.

I have enough experience in living with people effected by mental health problems to know: Adderall XR prescibed in high doses will make anyone feel or function better, however it is correcting people with poor attentions.

If you have problems with extraneous stimuli making hard to focus then you may have attention problems. I think that adderall does a good job in fixing the problems.

Since my disease became disabling when I was 18, I have tried many drugs. The most drugs I have taken at any one time for treatment was 12. Now I only have to take three. Abilify, Provigil, and Adderall. Because they target specific regions in the brain, the adderall is for attention problems and reduces dopamine uptake in the brain in some poeple and produces more dopamine in other people, the abilify is a dopamine channeling drug, and the provigil targets and regulates specific neurotransimmitters like dopamine and seratonin. I don't have to take a million other drugs anymore or feel like a zombie all day from being overmedicated.

My doctor has never prescribed anyone as much adderall as he prescribes me. Adderall XR can be prescibed up to 120 mg a day and the doctor can push the envelope for even higher doses as there are good reasons for doing it in certain cases. The most frequent dosage is betwen 10-30mg a day.

My fingers are tired so I must end. Remember adderall can even be used in people with schizophrenia all the way to people w/ fetal alc. syndrome. I hope I was informative about the many uses of adderall XR and how broad a drug it can actually be.

I lost about 30lbs when I first starting taking AdderallXR. I was taking 30mg a day. Since then, my doc lowered my dose to 20mg day. I gained all of my weight back, and my headaches went away. I'm not quite as focused as I was on the 30mg, but I guess you have to find a balance you can live with!

I've been taking ADD meds since 3rd grade. I'm currently in college. Useless info: but I in no way have a dependence on the drugs. I cycle on and off on a very frequent basis, and Adderall XR does little more than increase my ability to function and concentrate for about 8 hours.

As I'm sure you know, a side effect is reduced appetite. Personally, while on Adderall XR, I rarely eat more than one meal a day. Now, I have been taking these meds for a long time, so it has little effect on my weight (I'm somewhat skinny, but since I just take it on days that I feel like I need it, I've gained a few pounds thanks to crappy dorm food), but for an adult that has just started, it is likely to have a noticeable effect if you haven't been starving yourself all your life. You probably just ate a lot before taking it, and now you barely eat at all. You won't lose weight until you become a twig, but you will definitely lose weight until you get to a point where your body personally would have been had you eaten this same way beforehand. My recommendation is to eat something small that is high in nutrients that you need, something like a protein bar would be ideal. Although you may prefer some based on taste, they will all eventually start tasting horrible (I hate that protein taste), and you should go for ones with higher protein content. Reasons: healthier than most of the other things you could eat. It's small, so you don't have to force as much. It will fill you up, even if your body is telling you you're not hungry (you still probably are). I know how it feels...you can tell you're hungry, but you just have this feeling in your stomach that makes it feel like you will vomit if you eat something. Protein bars with water are probably your best choice (or maybe a good shake or yogurt)...it will reduce your weight loss (but probably not stop it altogether), and will keep you fairly in good shape as far as eating sufficiently goes. It's better than not eating.

Another thing is to eat a hearty breakfast before or at the same time as taking the pill, because it takes a while to kick in (especially the XR type). Basically, eat a good breakfast and take your pills, then at lunch, force a small amount of protein in your body, and around dinner, the effects should be wearing out (assuming you take it around 7-9am), so you won't be ravenous, but you should be okay.

I have been taking Adderall xr for about 10 months now...I am currently on 30 mg...My appetite hits me late at night....So I eat then...I have lost weight...I have noticed that when I am not hungry..If I force myself to just put the food in my mouth, I will usually eat a small portion....It's better than eating nothing all day....Although getting myself to put it to my lips takes alot sometimes...So If I truely do not want to eat during the day, I drink a milkshake...I have bought those Boost chocolate shakes also.....I will drink a fruit smoothie, honestly to keep my sugar level in my body...and also for nutrients.....If you have lost too much weight, and are not maintaining a healthy level, your Dr will usually bring your dose down 5mg....Sometimes Adderall is not the right one for you anymore, and you need to switch to a different med...Even just plain Adderall can work...that way it is shorter acting. But try drinking something nutritious....When you don't feel hungery, you will usually drink something instead, so that is a good option...Good Luck

i am 23 and i have been taking adderall xr for about 7 years now.

i was severely ADD for a very long time. the regular adderall turned me into a MANIAC of a 14 year old so i switched to xr and am BEYOND grateful for it (timeline might not be perfect... after all i am ADD lol!).

adderall DOES decrease your appetite and does indeed make you lose weight but once you get past a certain point (it was a couple years into it for me) that completely goes away. my appetite is back to how it normally was and while i sometimes feel the side affects (notice the dry mouth?) my body has basically gotten completely used to the adderall and it seems, rebelled against it. i have the appetite of a pig.

i just ate when i knew i should. just cause the "meds" tell you you're not hungry doesn't mean you are. if it troubles you eat a little bit at a time. a little bit for every meal. notice how you're hungry in the evening once it starts to wear off? yeah. just eat maybe a piece of toast in the morning, a sandwich or something like that for lunch and so on and so forth. baby steps. eventually your body will realize that the meds are telling it something different than what is actually going on.

sometimes i still have trouble. like in the mornings when i go to eat something (we're talking big mac meals super sized from mcdonald's before the adderall kicks in is what i COULD eat), i might only eat half the burger and a few fries once it does. i'm a 6' woman and i weight 150 pounds. so i'm pretty small. but once midday hits.... move the seniors away from the buffet lines, my stomach is in full swing. and i have to look away from the tv when commercials of food come on. especially pizzas. it'll come back. for now, its just a helluva diet pill that will eventually wear off. :-D

sometimes i still have trouble. like in the mornings when i go to eat something (we're talking big mac meals super sized from mcdonald's), i might only eat half the burger and a few fries. i'm a 6' woman and i weight 150 pounds. so i'm pretty small. but once midday hits.... move the seniors away from the buffet lines, my stomach is in full swing. and i have to look away from the tv when commercials of food come on. especially pizzas. it'll come back. for now, its just a helluva diet pill that will eventually wear off. :-D

im 14 i was on adderall when i was in 4th grade i went off it for a while
once your off it you binge like crazy i gained weight fast
im on it angain now im in nineth grade
for adhd it works so far :-D

I think I binge eat every night!(When the meds wear off) I just started taking adderall xr 3 weeks ago. I have recently been diagnoised at 29! of course my father and brothers had it (and they have been medicated since the early 90's) but no not a girl I was just going through puberty and being rebellious. anywho - I started out on focaline 2.5 mg twice a day and couldn't stand mood swings when it wore off. Now my doc has me on adderall xr 10mgs and at first it was great(for a week) now I barley even notice I am taking it and I am so fatigued in the evening and early in the morning I don't want to wake up. Has anyone else had this? also I am hopelessly addicted to coffee alot of coffee can this really effect how fast I am metabolizing it? One other thing I started out at 125 and since I have started taking meds I am down to 120 and hovering I think this is appropriate for my BMI.

I STARTED TAKING ADDERRAL XR 3 YEARS AGO I HAVE GAINED 10LBS A YEAR SINCE , EXSPERIANCED HEADACHES AROUND 8 HRS AFTER TAKING IT AND OCCASSIONALLY FEEL LIKE I AM HIGH ON COCAINE AND AM GOING TO DIE, THIS DOESNT HAPPEN EVERYDAY BUT IT DOES HAPPEN. DOES IT HELP YOU FOCAS SURE SOMETIMES BUT OTHER TIMES I HAVE ALL THIS ENERGY BUT CANT SEEM TO ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING. IT ALSO SEMS TO MAKE ME VERY IRRITABLE. ANYONE EXPERIENCES ANY MOF THIS?

I started taking Adderal a little over a year ago. I lost about 35 lbs in 5 months. In addition to the meds I hit the gym. But I notice when I was on vacation about for months after taking the med. I was eating and taking the adderal on a full stomach. I felt the drug was losing its effect,at that time I was on 20 mg of Adderal XR. My DR increased my dosage to 3omgs of xr. I began to see more weight loss and food was never on my mind. I also had to force myself to eat sometimes. I made the mistake of taking the Adderal w/o food in the mornings b4 school. Needless to say it was not a good look I began to feeling like a speeding bullet. Now I feel like my weight has hit a plateau. I am getting my appetite back, especially at night when I crave ICE CREAM. I have not been working out as much as I was 3 months ago. But my size 29's were snug a week o. I think I may have lost a lb or 2. I refuse 2 way myself because it mentally throws me off course. But adderal can have me moody so I am taking trileptal and xanax as well. I need 2 drop a few lbs. I went from 165lbs in Jan 08 145lbs by 7/08 and Im pnly 5'1. I will be graduating from FIT in May of this year and would like to lose at least20 lbs any ideas?