Hi. Can you help me with something? In the sea of the heart pills and blood pressure pills, my wife has another medicine in her "collection". She was feeling bad and she went to see her doctor. He was not there, so one older lady received her.  She told her that everything is OK with her but that she needs to take Atorvastatin for a while. What that means - for a while?

Can you tell me who is prescribed with this medicine and do you even have a idea what is the proper dosage? She didn't told us...

I hope that our doctor will be home soon.  

Atorvastatin is just one of the statins that are used to lower cholesterol. I's not usually used "for a while" and the strength is determined by how effective it is. So it is usually a permanent thing that starts out t a low dose then is ramped up if necessary.

Unless there is reason to do otherwise they usually start at 10mg.

Good day everyone. I agree with njoynlife. Atorvastatin is used together with diet, weight loss, and all those exercises that you are doing, which can help you to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke and to decrease the chance that heart surgery will be needed in people who have heart disease or who are at risk of developing heart disease.  I think that in this case doctor recommend atorvastatin because it is used to decrease the amount of fatty substances such as low - density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol ('bad cholesterol') and triglycerides in the blood. That is the main reason. 

Hey noynlife. Thank you so much. Is there any chance that you can tell me more about this? Do you know anyone who had experiencing with it? I don't know anyone and whenever I want to talk to someone about it, I get no answer because people are not so familiar with this medication. I want to ask you - do you even have a idea is this medicine effective or not? My wife's body is having so many problems in accepting any kind of medications. And, is there 20mg package? Because I am sure that doctor told her that she will use 20 mg at the beginning :/

Hey there. I agree with the connotation that at the beginning it is recommended to use 10mg. That is the proper dosage. You know why? Because indicated as an adjunct to diet for treatment of elevated total-C, Apo B, and TG levels and to increase HDL - C in patients who have primary hypercholesterolemia and mixed dyslipidemia . But it is possible that you have heard your doctor saying that it is OK to try with 20 mg dosage. Actually, 10 - 20 mg is optimum. As you already know, atorvastatin is given to those who need to lower their cholesterol down. And I really do think that it is one of the best medications.

Atorvastatin is the generic name for Lipitor and it is quite effective. I have been on it for many years since my bypass surgery 20 years ago. I got into a study that Pfizer was doing at the time to determine the different results of low and high doses. Some of us were on 10mg and the other half were on 80mg. After the study ended I had to take whatever the VA was using as they didn't buy Lipitor. Then I got a call about another Pfizer study combining Lipitor 10mg and Torcetrapib. That was abruptly cancelled but the combination was very effective for me. It raised my HDL from 35 to 70 and lowered my LDL from 90 to 35 in about 3 months. I am again in another study by Amgen where they are giving me Atorvastatin 40mg plus their study drug or a placebo. I don't know how it became 40mg but my numbers are good and no side effects so I'm ok with it.

My wife can't take any statins at any dose at all. They give her terrible muscle aches. I am not familiar with any other side effects. The Amgen study is for a drug they are working on for people who can't take statins such as my wife. I believe it was just approved but they decided to continue the study and asked me if wanted to stay in. Free Lipitor ---- you bet.

Hello there. Thank you so much for this so extensively explanation. I just didn't get this good explanation from the doctor when I asked him about it. I just don't know (and this information is not familiar to my doctor as well) can she use it, what the effect is going to be if she uses this with all other pills that she is using. I don't know is this a very smart idea and I am really scared of all those side - effects that can occur. I also have heard that some side - effects can be fatal and that is what scares me the most.

Hey there. Look Eric, I believe that this doctor needs to know how all those medications that she is using will affect her. It seems impossible to me that this doctor doesn't know nothing about it ;/ Every medicine has a possibility to cancel another one and in that case, no one of those medicines that she is using will help her. That is very important to know and if this doctor is not good enough, you should find another one to consult him. About the proper dosage, OK, maybe she can use 20 mg at the beginning, but I am still for smaller dosage. 

She certainly should not be taking it without telling the doctor about everything else she is taking. I don't take anything that my doctors don't know about. I have my family doctor, the VA RNP and the one in the drug study and they all have a complete, up to date list of everything I am taking. I don't do over the counter stuff except for cough syrup if I have a cold and aspirin for aches and pains. I have checked with my doctor on all of those before taking them. I also go to drug interaction websites to check for myself as doctors can also make mistakes.