I had my Cholesterol checked the other day and to my surprise it is still high. Right before I turned 30 I had it checked and it came back 235 with 100-199 being the normal range. My HDL was lower than normal and my LDL was way higher. I had just started to run at that point and changed my diet immensely. I cut out a lot of the fatty foods I was eating and started to eat a healthy balanced diet. Increased my Fruits and Vegetables, Nearly elimanated Trans Fatty acids, and added whole grain foods.

For the past year, I haven't been able to run like I would like to because of my injury, however, I am still watching what I eat. Yet it doesn't seem to help. The Dr. wants to put me on Medication to help reduce my Cholesterol levels but I don't really want to start taking pills if I can help it.

Any ideas?

Sometimes diet and exercise aren't enough--my dad fixed his diet and still needed to go on the meds, but his cholesterol dropped dramatically and quickly.

I know what you mean about the meds, though. I, too, like to avoid any dependence on meds if I can at all help it.

Would a trip to a nutritionist maybe help?

Are you eating oatmeal for breakfast? Isn't that supposed to help?

Sorry if that's dumb, it's a product of advertising.

I understand you reluctance to go on medication, but it may be the only thing that may help. Is there a family history of High Cholesterol or Coronary Artery Disease? That may be influencing the doctors decision to put you on medication early. Better to be proactive than reactive.

Cappy

I'm not too sure there is much you can eat to lower it. The cholesterol in your blood is produced by your body it doesn't come from your food. If meds will work for you to lower it that's probably the best way to go.

:1:
there are alot of new cholesterol meds now -- other than statin drugs which seem to have the most negative side effects. we used to almost laugh at my husband's high numbers -- till his first minor M/I at age 37. :|
we were then "reactive"....
family history speaks volumes here RB -- if it's there, do the meds. at least give them a try.
PM me if you want any more info.

I'm 32 next month, and about 1.5 yrs ago my cholesterol was at 240 or so. In the last 5-6 months I've been jogging, and in the last 3 months I've added 2 visits to the gym per week, as well as 1-2 tennis matches with another teacher. I also eat oatmeal for breakfast almost every morning, about 1/2 cup with water, milk and banana or berries. A cholesterol test last week says my level is now 190, thank god. My dad is on meds too (I'm not) and I hope to avoid them by keeping up the exercise and eating more fruits and veggies. I recall trying to follow the USDA's recommendation of 5 servings/day and it was a struggle!
gocubbies
(now once again with Greg Maddux)

I am still in the slightly above normal range. At the current time my doctor doesn't seem to worried about it. For the most part I do eat healthy and I am a runner.

I guess for now keep on watching what you eat and keep on exercising. If you do have family history of heart disease you will want to think about taking the drugs.

Good Luck.

Are you saying if I am not going to live very long I might as well be happy?
Thanks for the suggestions all. I think I am going to try a diet change again. I am still not ready to be on Meds if I can avoid. Plus, I feel like my Dr. is just pushing meds because he gets a kick back from the drug companies. I will be getting a new Dr. soon too.

Tracy's mom is in her mid 50's. She's had high cholesterol forever, and no diet seemed to work. She went on medication and her cholesterol dropped like a rock and has stayed there ever since. Something to think abou tif the diets don't work, as much as you'd hate to take the meds.

It's a shame the Torcetrapib that Pfizer developed didn't make it into production. I was in the study for that stuff and it worked miracles for me. It dropped my LDL to 38 and raised my HDL to 70 within 2 months and dropped my total to 134.

After doing some research and talking to a few different people I have decided that I am going to go on the South Beach Diet. This diet is suppose to really improve cholesterol. I'll will be sure to post my results.

What's the difference between this and Atkins? i'm packing a jar of Metamucil to send you airmail right now :P

Read the link, but to summarize:
The South Beach Diet is not low-carb. Nor is it low-fat.
The South Beach Diet teaches you to rely on the right carbs and the right fats--the good ones--and enables you to live quite happily without the bad carbs and bad fats. As a result, you're going to get healthy and lose weight
My goal isn't weight loss, as a matter of fact I am concerned about losing weight on it.