I have been diagnosed with a C5-C6 herniated disc that is compressing the spinal cord. Anterior cervical fusion surgery has been recommended of course, but I am concerned that the discs adjacent to the fusion site may become vulnerable and that the fusion may not be successful. What I wanted to ask here is: what less invasive procedures can treat a cervical herniated disc affecting the spinal cord?

As I know there aren’t really any more effective options for a large cervical herniated disc with spinal cord impingement than anterior cervical fusion surgery. The purpose of this procedure is to relieve the pressure placed on nerve roots and/or the spinal cord by a herniated disc. I have acquaintance that experienced anterior cervical fusion surgery c5-c6 herniation. She recovered in less then 2 months. It seems that cervical discectomy with a fusion is generally a reliable procedure with an excellent track record. It is generally considered the highest standard in surgical care for a cervical herniated disc that is impinging the spinal cord.