I suffer of the pain in my back for a long time. My brother decided to help me; I guess he is sick and tired of my face. He was talking to some friend who told him I should perform myelogram. I would like to know what that is and how it might help me. I just know that is some kind of X-rays but also I want to know how is it done and what is going to show?

A myelogram is a specialized x-ray of the spine used to determine the cause of pain in the back, neck, arms, or legs. Using a radiopaque dye, several segments of the spine can be studied. During myelogram, dye is injected into the spinal canal at one of two puncture sites. It flows within the cerebrospinal fluid inside the dura to outline the spinal cord and nerve roots. It has been done in one or more of the spine's cervical (neck), thoracic (chest), and lumbar (lower back) regions. This outline will appear on an x-ray, which is goal with performing myelogram. The normal myelogram shows us clear outline of the spinal cord and nerve roots. The absence of dye in a specific area, known as a filling defect, can indicate that spinal cord is being pinched, or compressed. Nerve root compression also may be diagnosed, and usually is caused by a herniated disc or a rough protrusion of bone, called a bone spur. Occasionally a filling defect may be caused by scar tissue, a cyst, or a tumor.