Last week I went to exam my arm because of the pain and heaviness I’ve been felling for some times Diagnose was cervical disc herniation which produced cervical radiculopthy. So, pain in my arm, defined as cervical radiculopthy, was due to irritation of cervical spinal nerve. Doctor suggested surgery to relive the pain and heaviness in my arm. I am worried about complications that surgery can cause. What are the risks?

History showed surgery for cervical radiculopathy as successful procedure. The operations for herniated disc are indicated for the relief of arm pain and heaviness. The potential complications depend on the surgical approach and the nature of the operation. The common risks are death, paralysis, failure to improve, nerve root injury, spinal fluid leak, and wound problems.

Cervical spinal surgery is used to correct the part of the spine in the neck, including problems with the disks. The specific surgery depends on the exact nature of the problem. If there is a one herniated disk, then the disk may simply be removed through an incision. It can be done through the front or back of the neck. If there is more than one disk that needs to be removed, then the spine usually needs to be fused. The fusion is necessary to keep it from becoming unstable. For surgery from the front that means that bone is placed in the space where the disk was removed and plates are screwed into the vertebrae to keep them from moving, but if the surgery is done from the back rods are used to connect the vertebrae. I’m sorry you have to go true it.

I have just gone through cervical disk surgery on 8-27-2009. My C5, C6 and C7 were fused together and this was done through the front of the neck. The reason I had the surgery was 24/7 headaches and spinal neck pain just as often. I'd had the pain for about 3 - 4 months solid...day and night...awake and sleeping...it didn't matter. As you can tell I am now up and about with the pain in my spine (neck) and my headaches totally gone. What I have now is what I hope is just pain from the process of moving aside my voice box, throat and the muscles to get to the spine from the front (anterior) of the neck. I have what feels like pinched nerves and strained muscles along my spine between my shoulder blades and the muscles along the top of my shoulders. I assure you that IN MY CASE the surgery was well worth it! Remember...this is my case and my experience.

n9rla, I am going to have the same procedure done on Oct. 1st. The arm pain and the headaches are unbearable. How long will it be before I can resume my normal jobs? Bookkeeper 7-3, Commercial cleaning 4 nights a week?

Hi n9rla,
I had disks between C5&6, C6&7 replaced on 7th May 09 and although pain was relieved from my arm and upper back, it has been replaced now with a stiff, tension like pain with much reduced range of movement (and painful ) than I had before. Saw my Neuro sgn again this week and he has put me on new nerve 're generation' medication and said if it hasn't come right after 3 weeks I need to have a cervical rhizotomy done. Am now really nervous!!! I certainly don't want to add more complications to my ordeal as I have no idea whow successful this procedure ia and now I hear it's not a permanent pain solution either! I'm 38 but feel like an 80 yr old woman! Anyomne else out there had similar experience? What have you done about it? Help!

Wow it's been a long time since my surgery but I have had incredible success with the process. My surgery was August 27th 2009 so it has been nearly a year now and I feel great. Occasionally I have stiffness in my neck (mostly at night) but I'm sleeping through the night and sleeping deeply...better that I have in years. I will say that my range of movement is been SLIGHTLY limited in the tilting forward and backward movement of my neck but otherwise no pain and now the restriction of movement has become the norm and really unnoticeable. I feel better than I have in years. I still have a faint scar on the front of my neck but it's slowly fading away. I sincerely hope that anyone else having this surgery has the same success I did. Best of luck!