I quit smoking cigarettes about 6 months ago. But I still love to have an occasional hit of pot a couple times a day. I had spinal fusion surgery 4 weeks ago. Didn't smoke anything after the 1st week, but have had a little since. Does anyone know if this will stop the fusion process? I've been told not to smoke cigarettes because of the nicotine. Any answers besides, not good to smoke weed, because I already know this?

Sam

I had surgery 2/19, like you I had stopped smoking cigarettes but still take 4 or 5 small hits a day. It mellows me out so I can lay longer other wise I would be moving a lot more. I walk a lot and feel pretty strong, but standing still (like cooking, doing dishes) and sitting hurt the worst. pot slows me down so I can focus on keeping my back straight so it will have a chance to heel. Remember your back is not in a cast, the more you twist, bend and stand the longer the bone will fuse.

But that still doesn't answer the question. Will a few hits hinder the fusion process? Surely their had to be someone out there that has smoked and had a successful fusion or not had a successful fusion.

I had spinal fusion in august of 2006 when I was 18 years old at johns hopkins in baltimore. i quit smoking for several months before my surgery and waited about 2 or 3 months to begin smoking cannabis again after my surgery. since then i have worked in a medical marijuana clinic helping patients in pain get cannabis because i have found it to be the most effective, fast acting and side-effect free medicine available. i have been back to my surgeon 2 times since the operation and my fusion WAS successful!

you will not believe the 2nd half of my story. last february i broke my left arm snowboarding. i shattered my humerous- and they had to insert another metal rod!! (2 for my spinal fusion, 1 in my arm) and they put it inside of the bone. I smoked marijuana for months and up till the day before (the accident it was obviously unexpected) and smoked the NIGHT i broke it (they sent me home with no pain killers) and smoked after my surgery as well. my bones healed right around the rod within weeks! it was even faster then i expected.

i would love to share my story and details with anyone considering cannabis as an alternative to traditional pain medicine. (there are many states that have medical marijuana available, and if yours isn't one of them- it should be, and can be- if YOU take action.)

http://www.norml.org

strawberrycoughxx@hotmail.com

Let me know how it turns out I go for a back fusion on March 21st for the same thing L4 L5 I have to get done. I smoke marijuana everyday but since I found out I did slow down. Will this affect me in my fusion that is the big question would like some answers if somebody could help.

Hi, my name is Julie. I will b getting a date this coming wk.for a disc replacement L5,S1. I am trying very hard to cut out all nictione. So far still using an e-cig. But not alot. But i am a geniune pothead, have been for yrs. I do live n Denver, CO. I have not mentioned smoking pot, neither has the surgeon, yet. It is a fact, that she will not do the surgery if i still have nicotine n my system.So what do u think? I can b done w/ nicotine, but i"ll go flipping crazy w/ no cigs & no pot. ( i am not a drinker). Will they want to test me for weed, pre-surgery. Or if i just play it down, don't mention it. Maybe it's not an issue, like nicotine is.........

Hello Julie just wondering how everything went and did you smoke after surgery and how is it going? I have heard positive takes on it and I'm quite curious.

Thx
LC

Yes, they will screen you for drug use. Also I recommend Dr. William Choi from the Spine Institute in centennial, Co he is amazing. I walked out of bed hours later after surgery's with 0 complications. He did a spinal fusion and decompression.

I have had two cervical fusions and smoked cannabis right up to and almost immediately after both surgeries and had no problems with healing.

I had an L3 - S1 fusion and I smoked cigs right up to day of surgery, and continued right after. Everything fused no problem. I did have an electrical bone stimulator implanted during surgery, which I'm sure helped. Wish I still had a good weed connection, or could move to Colorado. It is way better for relaxing and dealing with pain then any pills are. Makes me sleep like a baby. Best of luck

I just had acdf c6c7 and I wanted to know how do u go about getting into a cannabis or medical marijuana clinic to treaser very ? Thks

To treat severe pain I also have all of Chiari malformation, EDS ,Arnold Chiari, POT Syndrome and fibromyalgia multiple sclerosis

Hi Julie..I too live in Denver and having lower lumbar spinal surgery on 12-20-16 and was wondering about marijuana use before and after surgery. I was told today no marijuana use 2 weeks before and 3 months after. No way for me. I have cut down on smoking bud but I do smoke the oil in an o-pen and some edibles. Any recommodations? Thank you. Peace, Teri Woods 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

It's been 3 days since I been out of the hospital. Had 5-6 DISC FIXED . CAN I smoke marijuana. Or will it stop the fusion. Or what might happen???

so is weed an anti inflamitory?

did your bones fuse? if so then i should be able to take a few hoots here and there