I had a cervical laminectomy 2 months ago. Although 4 experts recommended the surgery due to stenosis and mild neuropathy in my hands, I had no pain prior to surgery. Post surgery I had no movement in my left arm. This was not noticed by the medical staff in the hospital and I did not realize it was not normal at that time. Three weeks after discharge, I finally contacted my neurosurgeon and went in for an appointment. There is clearly nerve damage (as indicated by an EMG) but the doctors are unable to indicate what caused or if I will recover from it. Has anyone else had this experience and , if so, what were their results over time?

I had 2 herniated discs C5-6 & C6-7 which I had fused but to everyones surprise I had a 7mm disc fragment which means a piece of the disc broke off and a fragment was floating near my cord, it landed on C5-6 hence my neurosurgeon says I have nerve damage!!This causes right arm pain, that is so intense, it is crazy how much it hurts and no drug can calm it totally!! The pain management DR put me on a combo of Neurontin and Cymbalta, which is helping but I don't think I will ever be pain free...........I am 8 months post op and I have been told 12 to 18 months and hopefully everything will calm down. Have you tried any of these medications?? They do help in conjunction with pain meds.......Nerve pain is a seering pain that is so intense, it is difficult to explain unless you have experienced it!! Also I use a external tens unit, that I am not sure if it really helps or not, but I use it occasionally.

Good Luck and feel better!!!

Hi, I am rewriting my reply because I am not sure if I wrote it so well.........Now that you know you have nerve damage (OMG I AM SOOOOO SORRY CUZ THAT SUCKS!!) Any how the Doctors have told me that it takes 12-18 mos. for things to calm down. Are you seeing a pain management Dr. They are specialists that deal in post op pain and can offer you multiple alternatives to handle your pain........I would reccommend that you see a pain management Dr and try some of the different drugs like Lyrica, Nerontin, Cymbalta or Topomax. There are lots of alternatives but a surgeon doesn't know how to prescribe these. A surgeon knows how to do surgery! So find a pain management Dr and try the different meds that can give you relief! They do help........ Ask your surgeon who he reccommends, I am sure he has a few he works with. If you don't feel comfortable with who you see, try another one. This Dr. has to be someone you feel comfortable talking with and who has enough time to "listen" to you. Prepare a list of questions you want to ask him before your appt. Like how long do you think "nerve pain" is going to last in my case (and every case is different)Neuropathy drugs, like nuerontin , or Lyrica, antidepressants(we all need them!!), you get the jist , just prepare for this appt. so you start getting some help........ That is what I suggest, because after the surgery the surgeoon really can't do much for you.........I know it's frustrating, but sadly this is our life now...........Good luck things will get better (or so they keep promising!! ) LOL

Lisa

I see your post is over a year ago. Has your left arm arm regained full use. My husband is going through this now from surgery Nov 10, 2011. He had an EMG today and 3 MRI's - we'll see neorulogist on Jan 5th for results.

I had surgery 5 months ago. 5 level posterior lamenectomy. Woke up and told Dr had no movement in left arm. Told everyone including visitors. 1 month after surgery mentioned to Dr. and she was surprised "I never mentioned it". Anyway still cannot lift my left arm. Can't lift anything above my head. Don't carry on luggage since you (husband) won't be able to lift anything on plane. Surgery was difficult and recovery has become depressing. Would't recommend to anyone.

I feel your pain. Had Posterior cervical Lam. on c3 thru c6 on oct 10, 2010.Woke up with burning pain in left arm, and not able to move it. After 6 months physical therapy I was able to lift 2 pounds shoulder high. It's been almost 2 years and I still have burning pain in shoulder and arm. I have had 7 epidural injections with no positive results, and scheduled for my 8th next week. It's all a guessing game and we are the gunie pigs. Good Luck !