Hi, I have a problem in school and it has nothing to do with teachers or marks. The thing is, I can’t sit in a classroom with cool-white fluorescent lighting. No one believes me. They all think I’m making it up. However, it is making me so anxious, I can’t listen, I can’t learn, I can’t pay any attention at all! It irritates me and makes me extreme hyperactive. Is there anything I can do about it?

I’ve already heard of that problem before. Many other kids became anxious because of the cool-white fluorescent lighting in their classrooms. They had lack of attention and became irritable. However, when a principal in their school changed old-style fluorescent lights and put full-spectrum lighting, their learning has approved. Some people have a problem with behavior and learning that includes sounds, light, colors and similar things. You’re probably one of them. You have to realize that sensitivity to those things is known collectively as dissociation or 'self induced trance states'. You have to treat this disorder properly now, when you’re still young. When you get older, it will be more difficult to handle that.

That ONE instance where a principal put "full spectrum" fluorescent lights in the classroom was later discounted because it was a one time only instance and the result could maybe have been attributed to the teacher's beneficial effect.

Not everyone, but a significant enough percentage of students with ADD, ADHD, and Asperger Syndrome are very sensitive to fluorescent light of ANY kind. Not only the humming, but the frequency. Some are suggesting all of the syndromes are somewhat related, and Asperger's specifically can be hypersensitive in general, and reactive to pastel colors, of which the colors in fluorescent lights fit into this category.

So, you may not have Asperger's, but you could have some of the neurological aspects, say, if you have any relative that has been so diagnosed, then you too could be hypersensitive.

I always have a pair of sunglasses with me 24 hours a day. When I walk into a Walmart like store, even if it's the middle of the night, I often have to put them on for the first few minutes. I've had issues with florescent lights since I was 9 years old. Everyone thought I was crazy (this was 1969) No one had done a study showing how bad florescent lights are for people. I have found that a good pair of sunglasses helps me cope with the florescent environment. I hope this helps

look into irlen syndrome. it involves coloured lenses tailored to your needs to counteract the colour frequency that bothers you