I work a lot, and barely go out during the day. I haven’t been on holiday for three years. I am single female, 33 years. I can say that I am depressed, I am trying my best with some vitamins and medications but I can’t say that I am feeling any better. My therapist has recommended me light therapy. Please tell me what is light therapy? I don’t know who else to ask, I’ll be really grateful if you give me some information.

Hi, I can give you some information about the light therapy. Light therapy involves exposure to intense levels of light under controlled conditions and recommended system consists of a set of fluorescent bulbs installed in a box with a diffusing screen. It is usually set up on a table or desktop at which you can sit comfortably for the treatment session. Treatment consists simply of sitting close to the light box, with lights on and eyes open, but looking at the lights is not recommended. People are free to engage in such activities as reading and writing, or eating meals. What is important is to orient the head and body toward the lights, concentrating on activities on the surfaces illuminated by the lights, but not on the lights themselves. These sessions can last from 15 minutes to three hours, once or twice a day, depending on individual needs and equipment used, but I guess that time and the way will be determent for you when you start with therapy.