Hello all! I’m a rookie and it would be nice if some of you more experienced runners can explain me a few things about the winter training and show me the ropes. My mother is constantly nagging that I’m going to catch a cold if I run during winter but I don’t want to change my routine only because the weather is colder. Thanks for your help.

That’s the spirit! There are several things that you should know about winter training. Almost all of them are about protecting yourself from the cold. But I’ll start with a piece of advice on general safety – your jacket, hat or shoes should be fluorescent in order for others, especially drivers, to spot you easily. You know that visibility is reduced during the winter. As for your clothes, the basic rule is to be layered. The first, so-called base layer that goes next to your body should be of a wicking fabric such as Thermax, wool or something like that. Don’t wear cotton next to your body because of sweating. Next layer should be of polyester, for example. And the top layer should be made of material that is breathable in order for moisture to evaporate, but is a good wind blocker. Don’t forget a ski cap, gloves and a scarf to protect your throat. Sunglasses are also important. Keep yourself hydrated.