Hi, I think that my son has a fluorescent light allergy. He got a lamp for his birthday few weeks ago, and every time when he sits next to it, I notice a rash all over his neck and shoulders. Did it happen to anyone else?

Hi, it happened to me couple of times, but I always thought that I was imagining that, because I didn’t hear of any similar cases. I noticed a connection a long time ago. Every time when I sat near the source of fluorescent light, I felt burning and itching on my skin. It looks like irritation, but I think it’s a real allergy. I am avoiding fluorescent light, but there are still few lamps at my work that are causing my allergic reaction. I am afraid that I could develop eczema or something similar from being exposed. I think you should remove that lamp from you’re son’s room if you suspect that he has an allergic reaction. Many people and doctors say that there is nothing about fluorescent light that can damage the health, but I they would think differently if they saw my skin.

Hi, it happens with me too.
When i am exposed to the fluorescent light,i feel hot and my skin red. :$
But only in my back,neck and lap.
I need an anwser!

I experienced this all through school on my arms. I had to go to school in very hot weather wearing long sleeve shirts - otherwise my arms would break out. It was more than a rash, but more like bumps, and would ooze if squeezed. It would always clear up during the summer until band camp in July... then back inside with the fluorescent lights, the reaction would start again. Finally I put the connection together and never had the problem again with long sleeves on.

Every time I have to take a class with fluorescent lighting, I cannot function. I have horrible eye pain, disorientation, and I also get a tingling sensation on my face. So much for my class participation grade. Thank God for my full spectrum light bulbs at home.

I have always noticed I have a reaction to flouresent lighting, fatigue... etc. Recently i bought low energy light bulbs and had the same reaction. It's like an over whelming fatigue like im being drugged that goes away as soon as I turn the light off for a few. I havn't talked to my allergist about this because from what I have read they don't acknowledge light sensitivity etc. but he at one time did diagnose me with an allergy to "heat" I notice my allergy medicine makes summers much more barable since i was diagnosed... i wonder if these light bulbs give off the same types of ions that heat does? I don't know, I am not a doctor but if so many people have similar reactions why don't they acknowledge it?

I work in a smaller office with no windows that is lit by fluorescent lighting. When I am in the office for more than an hour or so, my eyes become very dry, and my vision becomes somewhat blurry - and I have 20-15 vision and the only time I have ever experienced blurry vision is when I started working in this office! And surprisingly, after 3 or more hours, which happens usually near the end of my day, my face is beat red, very hot to the touch, and my eyes of red. I have never had symptoms like these before and they happen regularly at the office - only there. I feel instant relief when I turn off the panel of fluorescent lights and work with the desk lamp, but my coworkers are not so cooperative! This is a curious and inconvenient allergy.

Believe me, I know that people's complaints are discounted by professionals, but the problem with professionals is that they simply don't know everything. Plus, the problem with light is that only a small percentage of people have acute symptoms such as those described here. As such, they are considered a non-issue by "professionals" since it's not a popular subject for them.

I studied fluorescent lights extensively starting in the 90's because of the problems I have with them, most of them described here except for the skin reaction. I do FEEL the lighting, but I don't get the "burn". Anyway, what I learned was this:

I am not a scientist, this is just an interpretation:
Fluorescent light is jerry-rigged by companies, manipulating the various spectrum of light to extreme levels at certain areas of the spectrum. For instance, REAL sunlight hovers around 200-250 nm along all levels of the color spectrum. Fluorescent light will spike at certain levels up to 1,000 at the visible blue, which makes light bright. Appealing to some, but fatiguing to others. Why do you think headaches are so prevalent in offices today? Not only the computer...

The light is supposedly 4x brighter than incandescent, however using only 1 tube out of a 4 tube fixture makes for a sickly gray light, so they used to put FOUR tubes per fixture which is overkill, frankly. Eventually some have been putting only 2 tubes per fixture, but the fact remains there should really only be one tube per fixture if you want to output the same amount of light as one incandescent bulb (150 watts I believe).

The fact remains, if you have a problem with fluorescent light, find a way to remove the tubes over your head if you can. Unfortunately, I spoke to an engineer once who said you need to be 40 feet away from fluorescent to not be affected by it, but if it is all you can do...

If your children have a problem with the lighting in school, then encourage the school to address the issue. ADD, ADHD, Aspergers all should be away from fluorescent light. The latter regularly get headaches, but they don't complain, they just tolerate. They tend to not defend themselves that well anyway... unfortunately. But as parents, you can do something about it.

As far as grocery shopping, I go for Costco (et al) in the morning when they don't turn on their lamps. Those are also bothersome for me, but still preferable to tube fluorescent.

I'm delighted to hear that I'm not the only one who has these symptoms. Overall I am in excellent health, with no allergies other than mild seasonal snuffles -- but when I am in a room with fluorescent lights for more than 3 hours or so my skin gets very red and hot and I get headaches. For a long time I thought that these symptoms were simply from stress--long days in the office!--but then I started working in the office with the lights off and had no symptoms at all. Same stress, no light, no symptoms. My co-workers think it's quirky, but it makes me much more comfortable.

Im like, exacly the same with the skin thing! Im only in highschool and at my school there are reaaaalllyyy bright fluerocent lights in every single class room. So basically 95% of the time im trying to focus on learning I can feel my skin on my face burning like mad! My whole face feels REALLY boiling and all my friends look at me and say im red as a tomato wich is true because i brought a mirror one day! Its really embarrassing and makes me feel uncomfortable. It's also annoying because im basically 99.99% sure that it is the bright lights because within a minute of leaving the classroom, my face looses its burning sensation and it goes back to its normal un-red colour. Its terrible, i just wish it would go away!!

There's a solution for part of the symptoms of fluorescent effects, like migranes. >:( I used to get them from sitting under fluorescent lights at work. I did some research and ended up getting some diffusers for them. Since then I have not had nearly as many migranes and my eyes don't get as irritated during the day. I have actually seen them at my dentist's office and at my son's school! :-D This is where I got the idea. :-|

I think they're called skypanels or something, but you can search on google and find some great stuff! I hope this helps some of you! :-)

I am allergic to UVA & UVB light (sun) I noticed that I was still having the same problems, even tho I was wearing sunblock, uv clothing and a hat. Come to find out it was the flourecent lights also. We had to go back thru the house and replace all the bulbs with regular incadeset bulbs but that doesn't help when I am at work or in the stores,doctors offices etc. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is out there simialiar to sunblock that would help with this... It is really getting to be bothersome Thanks

I get extremely dizzy and I feel like that I get anxious being around fluorescent lights. I can't be around them in any way. I think that the people who get rashes, well that its actually hives. I'm not a professional in this subject but only a person who has a sensitivity. The flushing of peoples faces is as well a kind of anxiety attack brought on from the obnoxious fluorescent lights. They really should be outlawed. In my readings I have found that many other people are exactly like all of you and me. I had to leave my job and go on disability to figure all of this out. Thanks whoever invented them!

I also get a rash - on my chest, arms, face when around fluorescent lights. I become very irritable :-( & find it hard to concentrate @ work. Sometimes I turn off the lights to calm down. I may have rosacea but not certain if the redness on the face is from rosacea or if rosacea is caused by the FL. lights. I was on vacation for a week from work & when I came back my FL light diffusers were removed from my office -I felt as though I had a panic attack after I returned. I was told they were removed from my office so I would have more "light" in my office - the diffusers were put in someone elses office (didn't make any sense to me). This was very upsetting to me & I couldn't concentrate @ all. After I made the company aware that I liked the "lower" light exposure, other diffusers were installed over my office's fluroescent lights - the other employee must have liked his because he kept my original ones in his office. These new ones do not seem as effective & I am not comfortable @ work anymore. I have times when I can't concentrate & I have even been seeing a psychiatrist & have been prescribed LORAZAPAM. After reading these comments - I truly believe that the FL lights are a problem for me. Thank you.

I'm one of the extremes in reacting to fluorescent lights.. to the point of having to build an entire life around being out of fluorescents. There isn't a ton of information out there - but believe me, I've heard it all. The most current recognition of the problem that I am aware of, has been done via a series of reports on GlobalTV Canada. I have links and some more info on my blog:

If you are bothered, you need to know that curly bulbs (cfls) are often even worse than tubes for sufferers. Also know that LCD tv's and monitors are backlit fluorescent. There's hope for me as LED begins its journey into computer screens and lighting. Even though LED christmas lights are annoying to me and many, the rest of their technology appears healthier both for individuals and for the environment.

And as they say on GlobalTV's report... if you don't feel well.. no matter what the symptoms, get out of fluorescents for a week and see if you impromve.