Hello everyone. I have severe asthma, and I have been on prednisone for 20 years. Some of the side effects I suffer from are: severe hip leg and body pain, cateracts, swelling of the whole body, sensitive skin, (so sensitive that it feels like it is burning to the touch), spotted skin, deformed finger and toe nails, & it is getting harder and harder to walk everyday.ALLERGY

well, I had very active UC for years and nothing would dampen it down, eventually it took 60mg per day of prednisone to do it, been working it down for near a year now and (along with alot of other stuff) am managing on 5mg per day, trying to get down to 2.5mg so far its been unsucessful. Is 5 or 2.5mg too much to be taking long term, am i man of about 80kg?? havnt been suffering any side effects of these lower doses btw.

My father has been on Prednisone for 33 years now. He has needed it from day one when he was diagnosed with severe ashma. It (according to him and his doctor) is the only thing that has worked and will work for him. Since he has been on it for so long, every time he tries to cut down on the useage he gets very sick and it takes him a long time to recover. He has diverticulitus (forgive spelling) and acid reflux as well as other problems probably caused by the prolonged use. He is 54 years old and looks like he is 70. He says he has tried everything to get off prednisone but nothing has helped. Does anybody kow of anyway possible to slowely (over a few years even) ween off prednisone? How did you go off this drug after such prolonged use?? Extremely interested...Thanks.

My father has been on Prednisone for 33 years now. He has needed it from day one when he was diagnosed with severe ashma. It (according to him and his doctor) is the only thing that has worked and will work for him. Since he has been on it for so long, every time he tries to cut down on the useage he gets very sick and it takes him a long time to recover. He has diverticulitus (forgive spelling) and acid reflux as well as other problems probably caused by the prolonged use. He is 54 years old and looks like he is 70. He says he has tried everything to get off prednisone but nothing has helped. Does anybody kow of anyway possible to slowely (over a few years even) ween off prednisone?

How did you go off this drug after such prolonged use?

I have used predisone on and off for years to treat mild chrones since i was 19yrs old and I am 45.  Just recently my doctor switched my treatment to Remicade.  The side effects I have encountered with predisone, is nothing compared to remicade.  I was only on a small prescribed dose (15mg) of predisone prior to switching to remicade, but I am seriously thinking to switching back.  I too have been concerned of long effects from presdisone, but you have to decide what risks you are willing to take to get the quality of life you want.  I take supplements while on predisone, excersice regularly and try to eat a healthy diet.  I must be lucky becuase while i am on predisone, i actually have less body and joint pain.  hope this helps.

Hi I have been on steroids for 35 years and I am experiencing all the things you mention and more . I was wondering if you wanted to chat sometime because it is hard to find someone who understands

Wow! Just been prescribed Prednisolone for psoriasis and shocked to hear all the side effects. I'm two days in and my condition has really improved! For those of you who are not familiar of Psoriasis treatment usually takes months t kick in but not this. Now I am pretty sad reading this knowing that next time I go to the doctors it will me me telling him I dont want to take this anymore :o(

I took prednisone for a few years for different health issues. I came down with auto immune hepatitis and was treated with Solu-Medrol for a week, then prednisone for the next 2 months. As soon as I came off the steroids I became pale, weak and feverish, later to find out my auto immune hepatitis had cleared up, but I had come down with Aplastic anemia. I took prednisone to for the next two years, and eventually had a bone marrow transplant curing me of the blood disorder. I am one of those who developed avascular necrosis in my right hip, requiring a total hip replacement. I have osteonecrosis in my left hip as well that will one day need a replacement, and osteoporosis in my knees, ankles, wrists, fingers, and shoulders. If you have found this this message board remember that everyone is different, and it's a good idea to bring a written copy of all of your concerns when visiting your doctor. 

how many milligrams?

Hi I have been on pred for 11 years. Mostly at a maintenance level 5 to 10 mg daily. Higher doses during flare ups. I have absolutely no side effects at all.

having been on prednisone for 11yrs like many others I have the round face increased weight gain,and also pick up infections easilly,however it has to be weighed up against the fact I am still able to get about having been diagnosed with rhumatoid arthritis 13 yrs ago,a higher blood pressure and increased risk of liver problems sugar intolerance etc is more likely,however as these steroids are given along with many other strong drugs many of the side effects can be masked,I would urge anyone on prednisone to reduce the amounts they take to the smaller dose that will work,but it is a super drug and there is always a price to pay.

I take 5 mg daily for rheumatoid arthritis. My rheumatologist said this is a very benign dosage and should not do any harm. Before this I was on Humira. I felt very good on Humira but it lowered my white blood cells too much & I had to discontinue it. I feel okay on the prednisone but still have some RA flares that require me to up my prednisone temporarily until the flare subsides. 5 mg should not have any long-term effects. It's certainly better than the pain of RA.  This dosage of prednisone does not increase my appetite or give me the moon face, so I feel comfortable staying with it for a long time.

lONG TERM EFFECTS absolutley its the double edge sword. Reduces the inflamatory fawcet at the same time shutting down your Adrenal Glands. I take 10mg per day small dose for the past 12 weeks and probably will be on it for the next 6 months. i have no choice. I am gaining weight in spite of controled diet, i am loosing body hair all over. but because of my low dose the effects will be minimal

I took it for 3 years to build my immune system during chemo for brain incureable brain disease. I never slept. my entire body twitched so bad I couldn't sit down with out being so uncomfortable I'd start to cry and literally lose my mind!. I had horrible mood swings and was so severely depressed I wanted to die. Not taking it wasn't an option as I nearly died and would've without chemo and steroids. I stopped taking it 8 months ago my choice. I'm now in remission and so far so good. It also made me gain 86 pounds as you can't stop eating! She may want to try a holistic treatment instead. not sleeping and gaining so much weight from 120-206 at 5'4" is horrible especially when you can't keep your balance due to the disease so how can you exercise? Do her a favor and find another treatment. Not sleeping, severe mood swings, depression and extreme weight gain is no way to live and if she's older (I'm 50) it's not quality of life. I take supplements now and get sleep by taking melatonin. I am starting to come back to normal and feel good. God bless and hope she finds something beneficial.

Hi there I was wondering if you have any more info about pregnancy while taking prednisone?? thank you