is marajjuana a barbiturate, and if so can you smoke marjjuana when taking prednisone. because i told a friend of mine no he can't smoke pot on prednisone and he still does it. isn't this dangerous

No, marijuana is not a barbiturate. There isn't research on this topic, but many people have used cannabis while on prednisone without any complications. That doesn't mean it isn't possible, but I certainly have never heard of it, nor had it happen to me. BTW don't give advice on how he treats his illness, even if your just trying to look out for him.

ps. cannabis really works better for some conditions than pretty much anything else. as someone with Crohn's I can tell you there is no medication so effective and safe as it is.

Your question kinda made me laugh. Smoking pot doesn't hurt much of anything. I wish I could smoke some myself to help with my pain from weaning off of prednisone.

I'm on prednisone for COPD so smoking anything isn't a smart idea.

I know it sure would help me sleep better. Hmmmmm

Buy a vaporizer!!! You don't need to smoke :-)

I'm on Prednisone for an allergic reaction to some acne meds. I don't really need to smoke, however, I would like to. Do you think it's safe enough to take that risk? Or should I just be responsible and wait the Prednisone out.
Also, would alcohol have any bad effects when on prednisone? Thanks!
P.S. Thanks for posting this, I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to medication.

I took prednisone for a few weeks for some joint pain, and I was high pretty much the whole time. So no worries there, although the pot might increase the drowsiness from prednisone if you experience any, that is. I have also drank on prednisone, but not enough to know whether or not it would do anything.

The best thing to do would be to look up the interactions on one of the many different websites (just google "drug interaction checker") just to make sure that it doesn't state that alcohol should be avoided.

i take a daily dose of 5mg of prednisone and have for the last five years. i regularly smoke weed and have experienced no complications.

There is no specific interaction between prednisone and alcohol. However, prednisone can irritate your stomach lining. This is why doctors often advise taking prednisone with food and staying off alcohol and aspirin while taking prednisone. That said alcohol and aspirin may or may not have an effect on you while you are taking prednisone. If you must take aspirin or drink just try it in small doses first and eat before or soon after.

On a more anecdotal note:
When I was on prednisone for an allergic reaction last month, I had a drink (without any food). Later that night I had severe stomach pain and diarrhea.

P

I have been on prednisone many times due to my asthma. I smoke weed daily and drink alcohol weekly. I have never had a reaction due to either weed or alcohol when on predisone. clearly weed and alcohol isnt good for you regardless but I am living proof it wont kill you or have any serious side effects.

Check with your pharmacist. I am a psych-Rx for a county facility an we see many patients adding cannabis to their prescribed regimen. In some cases (such as prednisone) this may be innocuous. In others (antidepressants/antipsychotics), it can be counter-productive if not devastating.

Regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis, THC may help with the symptomatic pain/discomfort/nausea from MTX, but it is not an anti-inflammatory agent. Without the prednisone, inflammation will progress to the point of joint immobility, intolerable pain, and loss of daily living skills. Summary: don't stop the prednisone just because it interferes with your THC experience... you'll pay severely later. Instead space your dosing apart (i.e. take your prednisone with breakfast and then smoke out 8 hours later after the plasma levels of prednisone have decreased), its all strategy.

Dr. W

im a cancer patient on high dose prednisone, and i have been smokin weed all weekend, i feel fine and have noticed no side effects.

I have M.S. and have Optic Neuritis as a result. I will be taking a 3 day dose of prednisone and will be smokin away the whole time...will let u know if it hurts anything :-)

I was stung by a wasp, went to the ER for Epinephrine, Benydryl and Prednisone. Can I smoke?

bro dont do it. Tried it yesterday as soon as i put down the blunt. BAM heart started racing, i was showing sypmtoms of stoke as well, and i bearly could move. All in all bad trip. But idk i think it depends when you take the pills though.

As a doctor, shouldnt you know that cannabinoids DO have anti-inflammatory properties, or are you one of those hand fed and brain washed by the government to tell us these things so we go buy these expensive, not to mention dangerous, drugs so you guys can drive lamberghinis and BMWs?