Hi, my wife suffers from Reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSDS). This condition affected her feet and arms. They are swollen and hurt. I heard that long-term use of prednisone helped some people, but it also had some side effects. Is it true? Can it really help?

Hi, I was diagnosed with RSDS several months ago, and a doctor prescribed me some alpha-blocking drugs. I also plan to start a physical therapy, because I don’t want it to get worse. I know some people that tried long term using of prednisone for RSDS, but it had many side effects. Some of them had their weight gained because of the increased appetite, and some became depressed, tired and got swollen joints. One of them even had his cheeks so puffy, his face became moon-shaped. Can’t your wife use some other medication then prednisone for RSDS? There are alpha-blocking drugs, calcium channel blockers, local anesthetic blockers, physical therapies, exercises… I think she should consult a doctor before she decides to try long term prednisone.