Hi, I had a brother who died from leukemia, but I suspect that the cause of his death was Prednisone. John had become really worried about his health, while he was still alive, because he was on that drug. He had those panic attacks and was all weird about it. Now he`s dead and I`m afraid that he was right about Prednisone. I know leukemia is a deadly disease, but I think he could live much longer with the right treatment. Prednisone is not the only drug that he was on, but the only one that he was paranoid about.

Hi, Prednisone can be used with other medications to treat the symptoms of low corticosteroid levels by replacing steroids that are normally produced naturally by the body. It also treats other conditions by reducing swelling and by changing the way the immune system works. A doctor may change your dose of prednisone if you had unusual stress on your body , for example surgery or infection. If you are taking prednisone to treat a long-lasting disease, like your brother did, the medication will help you control your health condition but will not cure it. Did he stop taking Prednisone? If so, his body couldn`t have enough natural steroids to function normally. This may cause tiredness, weakness, weight loss and may cause death.

I have been on prednisone for a long time and fear an early death. I have panic attacks, gained over 75 lbs and an overall basket case. Sometimes I don't want to face the world because of what it has done to me. My moods has changed also. I suffer from asthma severe asthma and feel I'm going to an early grave because of it.

For prednisone to do so much you would think doctors could find an alternative drug.

Any Help here? My Mother-in-law was diagnosed with a non life threatening immune disorder. From the first week she had every bad reaction that this drug lists. The DR.'s did not reduce her dosage and did not change the drug and she was dead in less than a month.

i have ulcerative colitis, steroids from time to time is just part of my every day life.
i found the lowest dose i can start the cycle from and still have success, when the docs tell me they want me to start with a higher dose i refuse.
the one thing i have noticed is that this stuff really messes with your mind.
causes one to worry, almost constantly at times.
nervousness is very common, borderline panic attacks are common.

i have learned some things that have helped me deal with prednisone effects much better:
a lot of low exertion exercise (walking for me) combined with talking a lot when you are feeling an attack come on.
the walking seems to keep enough of me busy to quiet the weird prednisone brain stuff.
the talking seems to get me to focus on something other than the freak out i think i am about to have, before i know it i feel fine.
i have found that playing games helps very well also, game systems, cards, anything that occupies your mind and is enjoyable. i suspect reading would also work quite effectively.

Hi, My husband was prescribed predisone for back pain and he died from it, What these doctors fail to tell patients that predisone raises the blood sugar. My husband's blood sugar was over 2200 and it caused pancreatitis. I am now suing Grouphealth for giving this medication to my husband. The doctor had his nerves to tell me that he thought my husband was a good canidate for the medication. How in the hell can they prescribe this med when he was already borderline diabetic.

It killed my husband It bought o v fib and heart attack .He died emt got his vitals back put i n pace maker he was fine .The next thing I knew he died .I got the report from cardiolagist .He should have lived but all his blood work was bad sugar high liver functiuns gone kidney functions low RBC LOW WBC HIgh and many more I looked up side effects and there they were I think he couldnt stay alive because of his labs were detroid his system

I am going through the same thing with my husband. Group health gave my husband prednisone for lower back pain and he was dead in a week of taking this medication. Again it raised his blood sugar up to 2200 his lungs kidneys and his pancreatitis all failed. The doctor told me and my dad that he thought my husband was a good candidate for the medication. He basically used my husband as a guinea pig. Then they slapped natural causes on his death certificate. Then Deaconess Hospital left my husband body out so that I could not have a open casket for her service, then their chaplain said that the surgery went well, but I was told four hours later that my husband was dead. I got a attorney working on this now and its been two years since my husband's death.

She asked if someone has fallen very ill or died .She fid not ask g or a running commentary like you have done about nothing.There is enough evidence to suggest it may possibly cause death

My name is Vonda Long and this is in response to the lady who lost her husband. Though it has been a couple of years, my condolences still go out to you. I know this post was written a couple of years ago, but I would love to communicate with you. I am severely allergic to 'Prednisone' and had a history with the same hospital for over 3 years. Thay knew that I was severely allergic to this medication, but when I ended up in the hospital with a 'Colitis' attack this hospital who knew all of my allergies were giving it to me through the I.V. without my knowledge. My first stay was overnight and I was released the following evening. I came home and went to bed and a burning sensation would wake me up. When I attempted to get up I was unable to see, crying out for my daughter, she comes to my room to find my eyes sealed shut and my body corroded with rashes and hives. We then returned back to the hospital with the folder only to be asked what I had been given. To shorten what happened to me, I complained for nearly a year as my 'Primary' doctor showed no concern or care before an 'Optometrist' would discover that I had gone blind, this is why I was having headaches every day, which I still carry. Again should this message reach you, could you please get in touch with me. Thanking you kindly in advance for your response.

Best Regards,

Sianni Long
Written for Vonda Long~

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have both Ankylosing Spondylitis and Crohn's disease and i have found that smoking weed and playing GTA (Grand Theft Auto) really takes away the stomach issues,and relaxes my nerves and im in a lot less pain! But thats me and everyone is different.

I have both also.

Have never tried weed and don't plan to.

Stomach issues are really bad to the point of debilitating. No one really cares though, I used to run a business with over 100 employees, do you think they care now .... no not at all, in fact I might just infect them if they communicate with me!

Have they checked if the asthma is induced by the acid produced by the prednisone? I was having difficulty breathing and we found it was acid-reflex induced Asthma treated with anti-acids.

Any cannabis with a high CBD content is good for chrons I suggest you find some flowers with cbd or u can find oils and concentrates with a high CBD level

My elderly mum was prescribed low dose prednisone 5mg daily for a condition the doctor thought she might have & it was explained to us that a regime of prednisone was necessary because if she had the suspected condition, it may cause blindness without immediate treatment & also if she had this, " Rheumatoid atheritis ", the prednisone would alleviate that. The pain did not alleviate & she was within weeks hospitalized because she felt so sick. She was in hospital for 3 weeks. During this time they prescribed insulin as her blood sugar levels had elevated alarmingly. They also increased her prednisone dose to up to 60 mg. In the 3rd week they did a arterial biopsy to test blood for Giant Cell artheritis & the results were negative. She did not even have the condition! So doctors decided to lower dosage of prednisone, they did explain that it would need to be done very slowly to prevent complications . I had to find out for myself from painful experience what those were. She was discharged from hospital with a full diabetic kit to add to her not inconsiderable mobility issues. No one at any time advised either myself or my mum of prednisone side effects. With the side effects this drug has it should not be administered without a signed written consent form for both patient & enduring power of attorney/carer.
Mum was discharged & within a week had a massive hyper, blood sugar sky high & manic behaviour late at night.
skin tears/hematomas on her legs. Her skin was paper thin. Again she was admitted to hospital, stayed for a week , I was at the hospital daily lobbying for her to come home. We got her home & I had just got her reorientated to the home situation , when at an appointment with the Rheumatologist, she was administered a shot of steroid, one in each shoulder. I asked the consultant "what was in the injection" , "oh just a steroid, liquid prednisone actually"
"you do realise she is being weaned off prednisone do you not?
Oh she replied lightly "it's a small dose wont affect her"
That night my mum lost her balance had a fall & although she had no discernable injuries ambo guy insisted on taking her to hospital. Doctors decided to lower the prednisone as quickly as they could do so safely .mum was fine for a week then she became anorexic complained of pain sore throat difficulty swallowing & was mentally confused with very lucid moments of clarity. After 3 days in hospital her legs were covered in large area hematomas some open which they started bandaging up. Then they told us they were going to discharge her. We packed her stuff up & doctors changed their mind said they thought she might have an infection. Some other odd stuff went on but sticking to prednisone thread , her symptoms worsened distended face, striation on her back, mental confusion . stomach pain. I said to doctor she has n"t eaten for 2 weeks, could hospital put her on a drip or some supplement. I was told by doctor "oh we are not too worried" mums a big lady so I thought well maybe they want her to lose weight. She was not hungry. In the 3rd week she complained of tummy pain . Evening of the 27th day she complained of acute stomach pain & hemmorraged or explosively vomited up dark liquid ,looked like tea . Called nurse in ,When I examined the vomit ,it was grainy. Mum claimed to now feel much better. I was concerned as mum was taking a lot of medication all on an empty stomach & little sips of fluids I questioned nurse who got another nurse who said, Do you want a doctor to look at her ? You're the nurse what do you think, is it serious ? she said nothing . The next morning mum died in my arms that was 5 days ago.
Wished I'd read this thread before but the hospital warned me off Dr Google .