Get off it trust me .....

Ive been taking pred since 2002 up to present,and as ive observed myself really get weak, and easily ge infections such as mentiond by the other..a few months ago i was rush to hospital due to hard breathing,now i am experiencing such sudden attacks.Lately i got a sugar level higher on what must supposed to be..

I have Crohns and I was on very high doses for a long time, I finally came down to 80mg daily and now I take only when I flare up. I was able to tapper off by do 80mg then 75mg for about 2weeks the 70 for about 2 weeks, only you know if you should do it for longer the 2week, so I say stay on one dose for 2-3 week then decrease by 5 or 2.5. I found when I went down to fast I would have a flare up. Listen to your body, if he feel a little flare go back up 1/2 a dose. Good Luch

i have colitis to and i have been taken predisone for bout a year off and on when i get flare ups, and taken humira shots weekly plus asacol. i take 40 mg andthen taper down. but i'm getting tired of not sleeping and gaining weight. i wish there was something else one can take.

Hi Cheryl. I really appreciate your post. I had a bone marrow transplant 3 years ago. After taking High doses of prednisone (up to 100mg/day) during my transplant, I have been taking 10 mg for the past two years. Every time I try to go below 10 mg I end up having a lot of pain in my legs, loss of appetite, and extreme fatigue. Staying at 10 mg basically keeps me out of the hospital, but I'm pretty much just laying in bed. My doctor recently boosted me up to 15mg for a few days to give me a boost.

I have a few questions.
1. What do you think about me staying at 15mg/day as a mainentance dose so that I can "have a life".
2. Do you think that my ultimate goal should be to get off prednisone completely? (I'm pretty scared that I can't do that and function properly.
3. Do you think taking 15mg vs 10mg will make any difference as far as abuse to my body?
4. I've heard long term prednisone use can make you go blind. Is that true?

Bye the way, I'm cancer free now, 44 year old male.

I really appreciate your feedback

Bob K

I have just been diagnoised with temperol arthritis and had a biopsy done on Prednisone for 6 weeks I am very interested in long term use any information I would appreciate

i was diagnosed with crohns disease and asarcol was prescribed 2 pills twice a day and i have had zero relief- so today i was prescribed predisone first week 4 pills a day then half a pill less each week until 8 weeks pass...is this normal is that something that will give me these side affects? im trying to get pregnant and this is how all the issues began

I have been on prenisolone for over 15years. I was first prescribed when I had my first asthma attack at 35.I believe this happenened because of the way I breathed, rapidly through the mouth and living in an old fibro house full of mould spores. I also smoked and had bronchitis so I gave up smoking. My doses go from 10mg to 70mg and I havn't been able to get to 5mg until recently because of serious back surgery, otherwise they would not operate. My bone density is borderline and I take longer to recover from illness and when I have a cold I have to go up in dose again. I had a lung disease, called MAC, this disease put a large abscess in my lung, 48mm by 12mm and smaller ones as well. It gets me down because I was so active and I still try to stay positive. A supportive partner helps, which I'm lucky to have. I nearly drowned while snorkeling overseas with the exertion of swimming and kicking my legs, but where there's a will, there's a way, I put on a life jacket and continued snorkeling. Yes, I can't ride my jet ski or swim laps anymore but I try to walk on the beach and next on the agenda is meditation, which I think will help with slow breathing and relaxing teqniches. I have thoought about trying salt rooms which are springing up in diferent countries and have heared the benefits of this. MOST IMPORTANT is to stay positive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO PREDISOLONE, does anone have any answwers to this please?

I had a brain tumor in 1985 which took out my pituatary gland I have been on prendisone and a host of other hormones for many years now, I was diagnosed with Diabetes 4 years ago due to the long time usage of these meds as well as joint pain. Otherwise healthy and thankful!

Due to being diagnosed w/Ocular Myasthenia Gravis, I was on a combination of 1000 mg of a strong immune system supressant and 40 mg of Prednisone for 4 years. The objective was to put the disease in remission for a period of 2 years so as not to go to generalized Myasthenia Gravis, which of course is a fatal disease. Ocassionally the symptions returned and was treated w/Prednisone for extended periods. The last course was 40 mg for about 5 months.

Now I find extreme hip and lower back pain, blurred vision, weakness in the leg muscles, and sundry other of the mentioned issues. Oh, my friends and family believe I am a nut case as mentioned in previous posts.

The only relief for the joint pain is a workout, but 2 days of light workout and it takes 2 to 3 days to recover. Sometimes longer. I have excersized regularly since about age 17. Am now 73.

No relief yet for the "nut case" label.

So does anyone have any suggestions for improvement in addition to the excersize program, or is it just a deal w/it issue?

Thanks

Don

:o)

been on prednisolone for 13 yrs now,find improved iron such as spinach,brocoli,oysters especially are helpful,not sure what the metabolic changes are but it does help...green cabbage may help,but it increases wind .good luck

Don -

Yeah dark green leafy veggies all the way. My personal favourites are spinach, kale and silverbeet. Squeeze a bit of lemon over it as the Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron. I usually eat this with oily fish high in omega 3 like salmon or sardines and sweet potato. Doctors once thought I had rheumatoid arthritis when I was 12-years-old, it was lupus but since my diagnosis I started eating salmon 2-3 times a week and it's pretty much gone other than neck and back pain which I have a feeling is due to bad posture and spending too much time in front of my computer. Other tips would be try Bikram yoga, it's 90min hot yoga, great but time consuming. It honestly does wonders for joint pain though. Or go to a sauna and do some simple stretches- the heat helps soften stiff joints.

By the way, I've been on prednisone for 8 and a half years. It wasn't until 2 years ago I lost a fair bit of weight I'd been caring around all throughout my teens and have had many other effects as I'm on other meds too. I think once I'd settled down with them I'm able to cope better. I'd rather be off them though. Anyone know of natural alternatives I can pitch to my Dr???? I'm getting bone density x-rays and my teeth are weak, chipping and I'm sure the enamel is basically non-existent now so I'm not sure what that says about my condition.

Anyway keep positive and healthy everyone :)

GET OFF PREDNISONE because once yourve been on it for a while, its imposible to get off it completly,believe me I have tried everything. The side effects arn't good, low immunity, brittle bones, paper thin skin, diabettes, weak teeth, Cushioniod features, (round moon face) weak limbs. I had a lung disease called MAC, through low immunity, it put large abcesses in my lungs and I mean large, 48 by 12mm and some smaller ones, I caught this disease from a spa will you believe, I couldn't believe it iether, you can google it. Anway I'm really positive, worked as an AIN throughout this illness and still walked as much as possible on the beach,I try not to winge too much and I started meditation recently which helps loads withyour breathing and calmness, and modern day budhists are funny and their teaching fullfilling, no religion just a way of thinking different, i hope this helps you

I started taking prednisone 3yrs ago for polyrumadica(sp?) I got as high as 20mg day. This is a treatable condition but only with steriods. Hesitant, i got almost immediate results. Only supposed to be on this 6mo to 1yr. Took the other 2 years to ween off. I have developed eye problems. Had great eyesight before treatment. Now have nearsighted, farsighted, and glaucoma. Also blurred vision. I was frustrated with my doctor cause i felt like he was weening to slow, so i took matters into my own hands. Ended up having a relapse. Followed dr. to the letter after that and i have been off for 1 Month. Feel very tired though, does anyone know if this is a side affect and how long it might be till i feel normal again?