I am halfway through a 2nd round of burst dose prednisone for what appears to be an autoimmune reaction (joint pain in hands/knees/wrists, myalgia,etc). I have my labs back and am RA negative. Only my WBC count was high (family MD explained this was bc I was on prednisone at the time) and TSH was 3.66.  

My question is- WHY and HOW could I possibly be loosing weight on Prednisone? I am not overweight, moderately active. All routine labs appear normal. Also, within a few hours of my first dose (60mgs) I could truly feel the inflammation decreasing in my muscles. 

I tried googling my experience, but... this is a first... an answer or article simply doesn't exist on this. So I came here. I hope there is someone out there that may be able to help me, thanks!

You are not alone. Been on Pred. for over 2 months and while weight was stable for the first 5 weeks, I began losing weight around week 6 and am now down about 8%. I continue to eat like a horse and work out like I did before but nothing is explaining the weight loss. TSH from 3 weeks ago was middle range but been on Levothyroxine for 6 months due to Hypothyroidism from cancer immunotherapy. In fact, I have many of the symptoms of diabetes but all tests cam back normal for that. Also, there are plenty of examples of people losing weight on Prednisone on the internet.

I'm a retired M.D. and have a diagnosis of Polymyalgia Rheumatica, a condition that causes diffuse muscle aches. I started on Prednisone 7 weeks ago. I took 40mg for a day, then 20mg. for 3 days, then 10mg. daily for 4 weeks. I am currently on 10mg. alternating with 5 mg.daily. My (profound) symptoms resolved immediately and remain controlled. I have a normal BMI (was 174#) and have lost 6# since starting on the medication. I feel great. So far as I know weight loss on low dose Prednisone has not been reported in the literature. I have a friend who has had the exact same experience.

Same experience. Grew up obese; lost weight on my own at age 29 and maintained healthy (not thin!) weight for more than 20 years, til menopause. Then found that I could control my physical appetite but NOT the anxiety in my head pressing me to eat. Gained a lot of weight and despaired of losing it, despite knowing how (viz. previous weight loss). Prescribed short course of prednisone and dropped 10 pounds in 10 days while feeling great. I did have to watch what I ate, but that was suddenly easy, since the anxiety about food was GONE. SILENT. It's been a week. I'm still stringently dieting. The voice is still gone. The weight loss, however, has stopped. Very bizarre side effect and you can bet I'm going to ask my doctor to continue me on prednisone, barring negative side effects (I had none on the short course). The benefit seems to me to outweigh the risks (so far as the risks are currently known - for women my age bone density and blood sugar need to be watched).

I am on 35mg.a day going down from 65mg.i have never felt so well,sleeping better, weight loss one dress size in 4 weeks.no increase in hunger, face is rounder but wrinkles have gone!!!bonnus its wonderful and i intend to keep on a does Forever....my temporal artery is staying soft so all is well.I CAN FIND NO ADVERSE EFFECTS JUST ALL GOOD.am 72yrs single retired.female.

What was your short course dosage?