Lately I noticed my grandmother has some problems. There is very common headache, loss of appetite and depression. What made me interested was her complain of double vision. Since I heard there is one disease arteritis, which cause the same symptoms I wonder if that could be it. She is 63 years old and first she has noticed symptoms in one eye and then in the fellow eye.

Arteritis is also known as temporal and giant cell arteritis. That is an inflammatory condition affecting the medium sized blood vessels that supply the head, eyes and optic nerves. Usually it affects those over 60 years old and women are 4 times more likely to suffer from these disease then men. Major concern with temporal arteritis is vision loss although if allowed to progress, it may affect arteries in other areas of the body. All those symptoms you wrote are considering with arteritis, so she could be suspected on it. She should visit the doctor, who will order blood test including an erythrocyte, or red blood cells, sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein test. Is this diagnosis is confirmed, the ophthalmologist often works in conjuction with the patient’s internist to treat this disease. Primary treatment for the arthritis is oral steroid medication to reduce the inflammatory process. Most of the patients notice an improvement in their symptoms within several days. In some cases, although, a long term maintenance dosage of the steroid is required.