Hi, I am 67 years old and have progressive vision loss on my right eye. I have been diagnosed with glaucoma two years ago, but I believed I got it regulated and that the progression of disease is under control. What are my chances?

Vision loss among the elderly is health care problem which can not be disregarded. Many persons over 65 have some vision disease. The most common illnesses leading to vision loss among the elderly are age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, cataract and diabetic retinopathy. Primary open-angle glaucoma is often affecting old people and results in optic nerve damage and consequently visual field loss. It may be asymptomatic, so regular eye examinations are necessary for elderly patients. Your ophtalmologist may propose you to undergo a minor surgical operation or laser operation (without blood), to enadle drainage of fluid in the eye and reduction of eye pressure.