Hello, folks. My friend has serious problems. It all started with usual sinus infection. Maybe, my friend didn’t take it for serious. However, this infection is currently spreading to optic nerve. I wonder how dangerous it is. Can anyone help me with this? I would appreciate it. Thank you for replying.

Hello. I think this complication is serious. Has your friend reported this to her doctor on time? Optic nerve can be easily affected by sinus infection. Sometimes this vision loss can be permanent. That is why her treatment should be aggressive. I hope she will manage to heal. Please, let me know the outcome. Good luck with this. Bye!

I sometimes have problems with sinus infection, but I never had it complicated as your friend has it. If the infection is spreading to the optic nerve your friend can have some serious eye problems. Is she taking any antibiotics for the infection? I think that antibiotics will help her to calm the infection down. I would highly suggest a doctor’s visit. If the infection is in this stage any attempts to stop it at home might jeopardize her eyes. Also there is a possibility of brain infection as well. You have to tell your friend that sinus infection is not something to ignore and the complications can be even life threatening.
I hope your friend will get better.

my daughter was told today she has a infection in the opic nerve s,he dont has sinus .her eyes just got v red and sore last week shr be on med for the next 6 months and back to the clinic every 4 weeks ,should we worry about this

Hello...not sure how old your post is about your daughter, but if recent my daughter also had optic neuritus. She lost 80% of the vision in her right eyes and was in the hospital for a week. She was on heavy antibiotics and steroids. The steroids seemed to work the best as it reduced the swelliing on the optic nerve. One month later her vision in that eye has returned to 20/20 but she did lose a small bit of tint recognition. Reds and blues look a bit deeper in color than with her other eye. Infections in children can cause O.N. Another cause for O.N. can be an immune disease such as M.S. Make sure your daughter is tested for this. My daughter had two MRIs and blood work but all came back negative. Good luck with your daughter, I hope she recovers 100%. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.

Notice this is a old post but when its a rarity it's nice to know others experiences. And yes, I have been completely blind in my right eye with ON at 25yo. At onset I had on/off sinus infections then I started seeing spots, ached to move eye in circular motion, and had pressure. Admitted to hospital and after several tests I was diagnosed with ON due to pressure from sinus infection. I was given 120mg prednisone, a lot of Amox, decongestants and nasal sprays. After a week I was able to see an "pin hole opening" of a nurses jacket......answered prayers! It took a few weeks to get the sight back completely. My eye doesn't tolerate flashes of light very well. Its taken several years for me to pass an oncoming vehicle on a 2 lane highway w/o hesitation or coming to a complete stop. Camera flashes are horrible. Also, certain patterns/lines still bother me.....on curtains, shirts especially, and depending on how the sun is coming in on mini blinds I can't handle looking at them. Neurologists/ophthalmologist have told me its a slow reaction that I'd have to deal with and if I get pressure to seek medical help immediately.

How was your daughter finally diagnosed? Were there any underlying conditions that caused a sinus infection to affect her eye like that? My son has had eye inflammation for several months now. The doctors suspect there is pressure on his optic nerve from somewhere in his head. He is also being examined for autoimmune conditions as he is predisposed to auto inflammation. Proper diagnosis means all the difference in what treatment he should receive. Any experience you have to share would be greatly appreciated.