Hi. My 22 yo sister suffers from sudden loss of vision. Also, her left eye hurts really bad. She was diagnosed with optic neuritis. I would like to hear something about that, like what is it and what are her treatment options. Anybody with info?

Hi. Optic neuritis is an inflammation of the optic nerve. The symptoms are blurred vision, reduced color vision, blind spot. The pain is also present. Her visual functions should return within some 10 weeks. Permanent visual loss is possible. Treatment with corticosteroids may quicken the healing and prevent complete loss of vision. This treatment is often recommended. Sometimes, the sheath around the optic nerve may be cut. When associated with MRI lesions, suggestive of MS, general immunosuppressive therapy is prescribed for the treatment of optic neuritis.