Hello, folks. My friend was diagnosed Sjogren’s syndrome. It seems that he has developed temploral arteritis as well. I would like to know whether this kind of arteritis is necessarily related to Sjogren’s. I would really appreciate this piece of info. Thank you in advance for all information you give me.

Hello. Temporal arteritis is a disease that affects medium and large arteries. It belongs to vasculopathies or to be more precise – vasculitis. It is an inflammation of the blood vessel’s wall. Temporal arteritis isn’t necessarily related to Sjogren’s syndrome. Sjogren’s syndrome is an autoimmune disease. Immune system attacks glands that produce moisture. Therefore, there are dry skin and mucosa tissues. The main symptoms are dry mouth and dry eyes. Other organs like kidneys, CNS, pancreas, blood vessels, lungs, liver and others can be affected too. I think that cases where temporal arteritis is related to Sjogren’s are not so numerous.

Temporal arteritis IS an autoimmune disorder... duh