My husband has been suffering from ulcerative colitis for more than three years and still we cannot eliminate all the symptoms and from time to time he has to deal with remissions. Luckily, his condition is mild, but still I am very concerned for his health. Now, he got this new drug, Asacol, to deal with the possible inflammation. Also, I have heard that Tricor might be helpful. Which would you choose?

I think there has been a slight misunderstanding. Asacol really is used for ulcerative colitis remissions and is good at it, preventing the inflammation of the colon. On the other hand, Tricor is used for controlling the level of cholesterol and triglyceride in the blood and is usually combined with a diet in a therapy. I do not say that it cannot help your husband, but it is not the same thing as Asacol.

ok, i know this is an old post but in case anyone else looks this up i thought i would make a comment. i had ulcerative colitus when i was 19 i am 38 now. i had what i believe is considered chronic ulcerative colitus. so i had it all the way to the worst level. when your large intestine isn't functioning normally or for that matter any part of your body. my advice is to find out what its major function is and try and help it out. as for the large intestine for example it assorbs water so with ulcerative colitus you will notice, i'm sure, that it is not doing that too well anymore( watery stool) so be sure to supplement your diet with lots of liquids. basically you are funtioning like a baby so you may find you should eat a little like one. chop your foods up better before eating get extra ium's(calcium, potassium, sodium, and magnisium) its hard to find vitamins with a good source of all these. also consider chewable vitamins anything time released will not work anymore.
i had to had my large intestine removed because i became so ill(don't worry this is rare) but i have to eat the same way you would during flare ups of ulcerative colitus except i don't have any pain or cramping or bleeding anymore. well i don't HAVE to eat that way but it won't digest.