My brother has just been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. We think that is because of the stressful event that happened in our family. Some time later, first symptoms occurred. With this illness, my brother changed a lot which affected everyone. I would like to help him and I need to know more about the drugs used for this illness. Azulfidine vs Asacol, which is more effective?

Both medications are used in treating ulcerative colitis. Often these two are used together in a combination, but could be taken solo. Asacol has a special affinity to colon, while Azufildine acts by inhibiting leukotriens production. It acts as and anti inflammatory drug, preventing the progression of inflammation progression and the creation of ulcers in the colon.

i developed ulcerative colitus when i was 19 i am 38 now. i would like to say that when people are stressed their body can be put at an all time low and any illness that is underlying can come out or worsen. so i don't think that stress caused his problem but is probably why it chose to come out or worsen at this time. when i was diagnosed my big problem was no one quite understood. my boyfriend thought i should excercise more so we went mountain climbing(not a good idea) my mom thought i needed less stress so she chased of all my friends. my doctor thought i needed more medicine and more cameras up the back end. i am not a doctor but what i know about UC is that the body decides to destroy the large intestine. the mucus layer of your large intestine will sloth off continually. you basically hope that it will reheal itself before it decides to do it some more. medication i believe is to help with this. if it becomes too severe your intestine could perforate which is what happened to me, but this is considered rare. they have to do the camera thing to check for this and the amount of healing. the only problem is after the camera goes in there i don't care what they say, it aggitates the intestine. but it does have to be done just use some of your own common sense. i have learned to sort of feel my body and know what it needs. know that his large intestine is not operating at 100% so he has to baby it. the large intestine assorbs water, potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium so he needs to increase his intake of these. a food processor to help break down his food will help a weary intestine also. also lettuce and fruit and vegetable peelings do not make that intestine very happy either.chewable vitamins work better also.don't totally rely on medicine you have to help yourself trust me on that one.