Hi, I have a problem that gets really bad when spring comes. I am incredibly sensitive to sunlight. Whenever I get out, I develop this rash on my face. It is very annoying and I don't know how to deal with this problem. Besides the rash, I have noticed that sometimes I start to feel fatigue. I am thinking about going to the doctor's, but I would like to know what I could expect. Do you know what might be the reason for me being incredibly sensitive to sunlight?

Hi, there is a name for this kind of condition. It is called photosensitivity. People can have these severe reactions when exposed to sunlight for a number of reasons. However, because your rash appears only on your face and you feel fatigue I would guess that the reason for your photosensitivity is a condition called lupus. This is an autoimmune condition in which your immune system cells attack your own tissues by mistake. In your case the immune system attacks your skin cells. Why do these autoimmune reactions happen is not quite clear. It is believed that sun triggers the production of a certain protein in your skin cells. These proteins bond with antibodies that than attract immune system cells, called lymphocytes. Lymphocytes destroy the skin cells and this causes inflammation that is manifested as a skin rash. You should definitely see your doctor and talk to him about your problem. There are several types of lupus and you will need to do some tests to determine the root of your problem and the course of treatment.