I have one problem with my skin. I have noticed some rash on it. Actually it is on my face. It is so visible that people look at me like I have plague. It is redness that covers my nose, area below the eyes and parts of the cheeks. It looks like large butterfly. I have lupus. Is that has something to do with it?

Yes, I think so. I have been reading in some health magazine something about that. They say that it can happen in persons affected by lupus. It has something to do with sunlight as I recall. When it is exposed to sun it appears and when not it disappears. Try to wear glasses and hat for a while and see is it going to disappear.

You're not correct. A malar rash usually signifies the case of a flare-up in Lupus, which means a person's antibodies will begin, or have begun, to attack the body. In a person with Lupus, their immune system is overactive, and the antibodies attack healthy tissue and organs. Since the skin is the largest organ of the body, it is susceptible to attack. Now, while sunlight might cause irritation, or even trigger a flare, even staying inside might be enough to start a flare.

Keep in mind that anything that might trigger your antibodies to attack (and it is unknown just how many triggers there are, especially since everyone is different.) Unfortunately, wearing a hat or glasses is not going to help you much, although it might reduce sunlight triggered responses, but it won't completely prevent you from getting the rash. The best treatment is to follow your doctor or rheumatologist's plan of care, since the rash may be immune to typical dermatological remedies (i.e. sunburn cream, aloe vera, lotions, etc.)