I know a lot about scary disease called lupus. I know that lupus is a chronic, autoimmune disease, which causes inflammation of various parts of the body. I have a friend who has this disease and it affected especially her skin, joints, blood and kidneys. I found it scary all that she has told me about this disease, so I want to hear more about it. For the start, can you tell me which lupus symptoms are?

First, you need to understand that the body's immune system normally makes proteins called antibodies. They are used to protect the body against viruses, bacteria and other foreign materials. These foreign materials are called antigens, so in an autoimmune disorder such as lupus, the immune system loses its ability to tell the difference between foreign substances and its own cells and tissues. As symptom of lupus, the main problem is that immune system make antibodies directed against self. Lupus is often called a "woman's disease" despite the fact that many men are also affected. However, the symptoms of the disease are the same in men and women. People of African, American Indian, and Asian origin are thought to develop the disease more frequently than Caucasian women are. Although lupus can affect any part of the body, most people experience symptoms in only a few organs, for example 95% of patients will experience achy joints and fever over 100 degrees F, or 38 degrees C. Commonly, patients feel prolonged or extreme fatigue, arthritis, which mean swollen joints, skin rashes, and anemia. Kidney involvement, pain in the chest on deep breathing, butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and nose, and sun or light sensitivity are common lupus symptoms.

Will a relevant diet help to improve lupus.

One of my classmates has lupus and I know she is on a diet: absolutely NO salt, she measures the callories, no chocolate, NO smoking. All this summer she was in hospitals.

But, the main question: How do you get Lupus-Is it a bacteria, a virus, is it in your blood since you were born?

My friend used to smoke, and when we asked her if she still smokes she said she wouldn't want to get in a coma. Could this really lead her into a coma?

i really wish i could give you answer but i cant i was just diagnosed with it last night and im only 15 and im scared i need answer to but im never on here if any one have any give me a mesage

**edited by moderator**

i'm 18 years old the doctors just found out that i have lupis, but i'm in very advanced stage and they figured out that i've had it since i was born. i may have to go on kemo and it is the hardest thing i've ever had to do i've almost missed my senior prom because i was sick. all i know is that i've had to put my life on hold to deal with this problem

:'( Im a mom of 4 and I just found out I have lupus and Im scared of the unknown and if my children will grow up without me! Can anyone give me more info please?

I am a 44 year old female and my sister of 54 years of age was diagnosed with lupus, a few years ago. She now needs a kidney transplant, I am the only one in the family with 0- blood type which is universal, that would help her and I would do it if there was no one else to help her. I just recently went back to college to become am R.N only in my first semester. And if I have any words of advice to give you it would be to go on the site.......youtube.......and type in........this is lupus.......or anything that pertains to it.......it always helped me when I had a question about anything..............I hoped that helped my god be with you.........................Love Judy

Well my Aunt has it i will tell you that you will be scared but do'int worry you need to go to the docter once a week and just watch what you eat and drink and if you drink beers and such STOP ! BECAUSE IT WILL MAKE YOU VERY SICK
but do'int have anymore kids and get your tubes tide..

Love kait...

My 18yr old sister is going through the same thing!! :( right now