Hi, I read in a medical magazine something about a disease called sjogren's syndrome. Apparently, this is a condition caused by our very own immune system. As far as I understood the article, sjogren's syndrome can be associated with other illnesses as well. The one mentioned was lupus. What can you tell me about sjogren's and lupus?

Hi, you are right. Sjogren's syndrome is caused by our own immune system. Such conditions are called autoimmune diseases. What happens is that immune system recognizes tissue as a threat. The tissues involved in Sjogren's disease are moisture producing glands. This condition can be an illness for itself-primary Sjogren's, but can also have an underlying disease-secondary Sjogren's. The usual association with Sjogren's syndrome is lupus. This is also an autoimmune condition, that mostly affects connective tissue. It can affect kidneys, lungs, skin, liver, blood vessels and even nervous system. There is no cure for Sjogren's or lupus. The treatment is based on acting against the symptoms. The drugs used for the therapy are corticosteroids and immunosuppressants. I hope that I have clarified things for you.