Hello. I'm 50 year old male and I had some delicate problems. Few days ago I have noticed that I started to urinate less frequent like I used to.
In the beginning I thought that it is caused by taking less water that usual but I guess I was wrong. After few days I have developed some urinary infection because I felt discomfort while urinating and itchy sensations on my penis.
I become very frightened when I found out that some prostate cancer can cause this kind of symptoms but my son told me that it can also be caused by some benign prostate enlargement.
Any advices?

Well, I can tell you only that both of them, cancer and benign prostate hypertrophy can cause this kinds of symptoms.
But, since you didn’t mention any lymph node swelling and you mentioned urinary infection, I would say that your son was right. Blockage of urine is often a fertile soil for urinary bacterias.
It is common for the prostate gland to become enlarged as a man ages. Doctors call the condition benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or benign prostatic hypertrophy.
The increase in size of the prostate inside exerts pressure on the urethra, which passes through the capsule, resulting in obstruction to urine flow.
There are a number of treatment options. These include waiting, medical therapy, balloon dilatation and various surgical procedures.
Alpha blockers have been used for a long time to treat high blood pressure, but they can also help the symptoms of BPH.

The cause of Benign Prostate Hyperplasia is not well understood. It has been known, for a long time, that Benign Prostate Hyperplasia occurs mainly in older men and that it doesn't develop in men whose testes were removed before puberty. Some researchers believe that factors related to aging and the testes may spur the development of Benign Prostate Hyperplasia. Throughout their lives, men produce testosterone and small amounts of estrogen, a female hormone and as men age the amount of active testosterone in the blood decreases, leaving a higher proportion of estrogen. Studies done have suggested that Benign Prostate Hyperplasia may occur because the higher amount of estrogen within the gland increases the activity of substances that promote cell growth, but Another theory focuses on dihydrotestosterone, a substance derived from testosterone in the prostate, which may help control its growth.