56 year old male with following symptoms: low labido, lower back pain, pain in groin, scrotum area, frequent nighttime urination, painful ejaculation (between scrotum and anus} most recently brown semen. PSA test 7 months ago was normal. Have had enlarged prostate. Very worried.

Have you been diagnosed with benign prostatic hyperplasia? My brother who is 13 years older than me was diagnosed with BPH and had to undergo a surgery. Not everybody undergo the surgery, some people with BPH are left and ordered frequent check-ups.

He had all the symptoms that you mentioned and he decided to undergo a procedure called transurethral surgery. That one was suggested by his doctor, said it was the most commonly done but that was like 5 years ago, I am not sure if laser surgery took over now. Besides transurethral and laser, there is also a so called open procedure. But the open procedure is done when the prostate is very big and when the other procedures can’t be done.
After the surgery, the symptoms didn’t go away for some time and he had bleedings and couldn’t pass stool but everything came back to normal after some time.

Mark- Thanks for the input, today, finally, is my urologist appointment. Will let you know the outcome. Did your brother also experience any upper back pain? Have ongoing issues here but don't know if there is any relation.

Urologist diagnosed prostatis- 500mg cipro twice daily. Return visit in 6 Weeks. Did not address upper back pain. This is now my major concern.