My father is diagnosed with benign prostatic hyperplasia. I know this is the most common disorder that affects men older than 40 years. Unfortunately, I have seen how prostatic growth can alter the physiology and function of these organs. Now my father’s doctor decided he should have some laser coagulation surgery done. Could you tell us anything about it because this is the first time we meet this medical expression.

Interstitial laser coagulation therapy is among the choices of invasive therapy for patients such as your father. However, most patients are not familiar with this particular method for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia. I have to tell you that an advantage of this technique is that it can be offered to anyone regardless of age, symptoms, configuration of the prostate, or symptoms severity. Usually, minimal blood loss occurs because of laser coagulation surgery. Good thing is that patients require only a short hospital stay, or the procedure can be even performed on an outpatient basis. Important is to say that patients do not experience any effect on potency due to laser coagulation surgery. This procedure can be performed with a regional or local anesthesia, even in the urologist’s office. As you could see until now, this is common solution in such a problem as prostatic hyperplasia. I am sure your father will be just fine after doctor perform this procedure, because it is shown as safe and effective.