Hi, folks. My uncle has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I know that this is the tumor that is not as rare as people may think. I would like to know something more about gestagen in the treatment of this cancer. What can you tell me about those? I would really appreciate all your replies.

Hi to you too. Both male and female sex hormones play an important role in prostate cancer appearance. By age, levels of testosterone and progesterone (gestagen) decreases. Progesterone is important since it blocks transformation from testosterone to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). DHT is an active form of testosterone and it is responsible for all the effects of testosterone. Progesterone also lowers the level of estrogen which is important for men’s obesity. Treatment of any type of cancer is very sensitive. I think you should discuss this with your uncle’s doctor. I hope I have helped you a little in getting a clearer picture. Bye!