My wife was diagnosed with bipolar disorder one month ago. It is really hard to live with her when she is going through one of her episodes. Until we found out that she is bipolar, her behavior was driving me crazy. Now, when I know that she is ill, how can I help her? I would like if someone could tell me more about this disorder? I love my wife and want to help her.

It is nice to hear that you are standing next to your wife in this situation. A lot of people would run as fast as they can. It is not easy living with a bipolar person. Bipolar disorder is another term that is used for manic depression. Manic depression involves mood alterations, with periods of depression and mania. A person experiencing depression or mania can have intense mood swings and consequent changes in thinking and behavior. Bipolar actually means sharing two poles, high and low. The cause of manic depression is unknown and it can affect any person. However, it is believed that the sensitive, creative persons and high achievers are more at risk. Many factors can trigger the episodes, like death, separations and divorce. The disorder manifests itself with the episodes of mania followed by low mood or depression. The number of manic and depressive episodes varies from person to person. When it comes to treatment, there is no real cure for bipolar disorder. However, there are some medications that are used to control the mood changes and manic episodes. Hope that everything will be ok with your wife, and that she will be under a supervision of her doctor.