I am 30 years old and I have schizophrenia. I understand everything about this, I accepted this disorder and I am trying to live normal. Anyway, my doctor prescribed a new drug, Seroquel. I have never used this one, so I want to hear something about Seroquel. Can you tell me the most important facts you think I should know.

Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are two different mental disorders that affect millions of people all over the world. Seroques is usually appropriate medicine for schizophrenia, so you should not doubt in your doctors decision. That is a psychotropic medication shown to be effective in the treatment of many symptoms of schizophrenia. Beside this, Seroquel is shown effective as well as in the treatment of acute mania associated with bipolar I disorder. This medicine is indicated for the treatment of acute manic episodes associated with bipolar I disorder and the treatment of schizophrenia. Elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis treated with atypical antipsychotic drugs are at an increased risk of death but I think you should not count on this, since you are 30 years old. However, I think you should know that Seroquel is not approved for the treatment of patients with dementia-related psychosis. Side effects can occur with all medications, as well as you could experience some with Seroquel also. A rare, but serious side effect that has been reported with this kind of medicine is known as neuroleptic malignant syndrome. NMS is characterized by muscle rigidity and fever, so if you experience this side effect, you should talk to your doctor.