One day I saw this women acting all crazy. I thought that she was gonna kill someone. She was screaming and yelling to her husband. Later, I found out that she is bipolar and to be honest, I felt like an id**t because I had no idea what that is. Can someone tell me more about this disorder? Thanks

Bipolar disorder is another term that is used for manic depression. Bipolar actually means sharing two poles, high and low. This disorder is characterized by moods that swing between two opposite poles: periods of mania and episodes of depression. This disorder can be severe and long-term, or it can be mild with infrequent episodes. Intensity and duration of symptoms progresses slowly over many years. Patients with bipolar disorder can experience symptoms in very different ways. Bipolar disorder can affect anyone, but it is believed that creative and sensitive people, high achievers are at greater risk. No single cause was found for bipolar disorder. A combination of biologic, genetic, and environmental factors can trigger this complex disorder. The number of episodes varies from person to person. There is no cure for bipolar disorder, however, there are some medications that are used for controlling manic and depressive episodes.