Hi! Doctor prescribed me Boniva - Ibandronate medication for osteoporosis. I take this medication weekly. Someone told me that this medication can be taken monthly. Is this true? Does Boniva have some side effects?

Hi! I also take this drug, without any side effects. Boniva - Ibandronate is an oral drug that is used for treating osteoporosis. It is in a class of drugs called bisphosphonate that includes Fosamax and Actonel, both of which are orally available which can be taken daily or weekly. Ibandronate may be taken daily, but it is the only oral biphosphonate that is approved to be taken monthly. All of the bisphosphonates prevent the breakdown of bone by bone cells called osteoclasts. Ibandronate is generally safe. Some of the more common side effects include back pain, pain in the arms or legs, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.