I have been anorexic for eleven years and have now been diagnosed with osteoporosis. My periods stopped over eight years ago. I've now been put on the contraceptive pill to increase bone density but am still a low weight. My doctor says I will recover in about 5 years, has anyone any experience of this?

I've been anorexic for 15 years also and my DEXA scan showed osteoporosis in hip. Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and structural deterioration of bone tissue, leading to bone fragility and an increased susceptibility to fractures of the hip, spine, and wrist. I was on estrogen for 10 years, it didn't help at all! My Dr. was surprised, so He recommended Actonel. After reading the side effects, it seemed terrifying so I decided not to. I’m taking calcium citrate, vitamin D, ect.